Re: Evaluating Content MathML

Hello again,

First of all, thanks for all the answers. I will have a look at the
software proposed by you, especially CellML looks promising.

Paul Libbrecht wrote:
 > You haven't been very clear about your intent of processing
 > MathML-content... why is a general XML library not appropriate for you ?
 > E.g. DOM, StAX, JDOM ?
 > At least to instantiate variables this is what I'd use.

Just to make it clear, here is what I am doing at the moment.

I am working on my Bachelors Thesis on storing characteristics
(mathematical formulas), containing several parameters as variables, in
an ontology. To instantiate the variable the parameters (real-values)
are extracted from different concepts in the ontology.

I decided to encode the characteristics via MathML and to store them as
XMLLiterals which are to be found as datatype properties in the ontology.

The project I am working with uses a Java written GUI that enables the
user to instantiate the ontology without writing any OWL but with using
dragĀ“n drop and wysiwyg mechanisms.

One of my tasks is to implement a feature which enables the user to type
in formulas (e.g (x + 5*y) * 4^2) without using MathML. These formulas
should be encoded in MathML and they should be stored in the ontology.
On the other hand the program has to be able to instantiate the
variables of the given formulas and eventually calculate and return the
result.

My task is not to write a MathML parser but to implement an exisiting
one. Therefore my plan was not to use JDOM or another XML Library but
maybe I was a bit to optimistic about the amount of my workload :-)

Thanks for your help,

Roman