RE: The problems with namespaces in text/html

MathML is just not an authoring language but a computer representation.
Because MathML is based on XML and is by definition constrained by its
structure, it is is and always will be a poor authoring language. While
there's no reason to deliberately make MathML wordy or difficult to
type, its main value is in its ability to represent math notation in a
precise way. Any introduction of ease-of-authoring features will likely
weaken it as a representation.

Paul Topping