RE: MathML-in-HTML5

How can HTML5 be the next version of "everyday tag soup HTML" without
actually accepting tag soup documents?

Once HTML5 support is built into Mozilla, can I modify my tag soup HTML
page (ie, one with soupy tags that requires de facto HTML browser
behavior) by simply adding new stuff to make use of HTML5-only features?
Or do I have to also correct my soupy tags?

Paul