Re: Mathematical selection

Neil Soiffer wrote:

> I assume that by the dual operator "*", you mean "*" in a superscript
> position such as in x^*.  In such a position, it has no arguments and
> precedence is meaningless so I don't understand what you are
> asking/commenting on.

Well... we're getting down to where it shouldn't get... the appearance
of character.
The * symbol in all the fonts I used every day is high so I'd write V*
without an exponent. Would such a shape be part of Unicode spec ?

> Maybe this exposes just how weak my K-12 education was :-)

;-)

> FYI:  (as you know) "*" is not usually used for multiplication in
> typeset math -- · or × or ⁢ are typically used.
> "*" was included for compatibility with ASCII-based math notations
> just as ">=" was included.  The operator dictionary does not recommend
> one form over another and tried to be inclusive as an aid to
> developers in case those notations were used by authors.

Another usage of * which is not a multiplication but a binary operator
is the pull-back (much used in categories, topology, and differential
geometry, I agree we leave K-12 here ;-)) or the convolution (which at
least many electrical engineers use).

Do these all have the same precedence ? Not sure.
I fear Darwinism should suppresses species!

paul