Re: Mathematical selection

Dear Paul,

we have already talked about this, and I would like to publically
re-state my opinion that only approach #2 can really work. If you want
something content-aware, you have to go by content markup. Of course, if
presentation MathML was generated from content-aware representations, we
could assume that it would sprinkle enough <mrow> and related elements
over the presentation, that the content-aware groups are all there, and
we could go with approach #1, but in reality, much of the
presentation-MathML is produced from presentation-oriented processes
(e.g. by transforming LaTeX) and this assumption is plain wrong and
therefore dangerous.

Of course, you will only realistically get parallel markup, if you
generate it from content-oriented methods anyway :-).

Michael

   Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,         Office: Research 1, Room 62
   Professor for Computer Science      Campus Ring 12,
   School of Engineering & Science     D-28758 Bremen, Germany
   International University Bremen     tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
   http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/mkohlhase <m.kohlhase@iu-bremen.de>