Re: pages with MathML

"White Lynx" <whitelynx@operamail.com> writes:

 > > We have problems with documents cited above.  Those of pages that
 > > are served with XSLT style sheet fail [1] in Opera [2] those served
 > > without XSLT look more or less like they should look. Removing XSLT
 > > sniffer and using proper Unicode notations (minus sign "&#8722;"
 > > intead of dash "-") would make them work in Opera too.
 > >
 > > [1] XSLT sniffing breaks MathML pages in Opera:
 > >     http://my.opera.com/White%20Lynx/blog/show.dml/144541
 > > [2] Version 9TP2 or later with appropriate UserJS patch:
 > >     http://my.opera.com/userjs/forums/topic.dml?id=124033
 >
 > Thanks for raising these issues.
 >
 > I was holding off on &#8722; waiting for distributed browsers to catch
 > up on fonts, but I think that's unnecessary now.  Does your comment
 > apply to _unary_ as well as binary use of minus?
 Yes it applies to both unary and binary minus.
 See Unicode Technical Report #25,"Unicode Support for Mathematics" for details:

Minus sign. U+2212 minus sign is the preferred representation of the unary
and binary minus sign rather than the ASCII-derived U+002D hyphen-minus,
because U+2212 is unambiguous and because it is rendered with a more desirable length, usually longer than a hyphen.

 > Tangential: The unicode list I'm looking at describes &#45; as
 > "hyphen-minus", and I'm inclined to think that the "hyphen" meaning
 > should be turned off within the scope of the XML namespace for MathML.
 > But I guess there's no way to touch cdata that way with CSS.

Changing hyphen with minus in UserJS implementation is not a problem,
but it is better to follow Unicode standard and use proper notations.

 > Regarding the UMSS: I've been yelled at within the last four or five
 > months for leaving out the UMSS, and Opera was one of the stated
 > reasons to keep it.  Is that no longer the case for the distributed
 > version of Opera?

 Opera 8 and older do not support XSLT, so supplying XSLT style sheets
 for the sake of Opera is not necessary. Opera 9 support XSLT but current
 UMSS does not work. It is possible to write XSLT that renders MathML in Opera,
 but at the moment we focused on UserJS, that eliminates need in supplying
 browser specific style sheets with document.

 > (For Linux I don't see version 9, only 8-something.)

 Version 9 is on preview stage, experimantal Opera 9 builds are available
 for Linux and Mac too.
 See beta forum: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=31

 > How important is the UMSS for Safari?

 I don't have Mac, but you can see how your MathML pages look in Safari at
 iCapture site: http://danvine.com/icapture/  (submit URL, get screenshot).