Re: consuming the semantic tag (was Re: Subscripts in Content MathML)

Paul,

The mime-type is really just a passive server-side message identifying
the content provided by the server as having certain characteristics.
The client then can decide how it is going to handle it.

Multi-language support works the other way round.  The client advertises
its self as being (say) french, and the server decides how to respond.
(look at a typical apache server httpd.conf file)

If the client could adverstise itsself as supporing (say)
 "mathml-content:maple" then the server could strip out those
semantic fields that do not match.

It is the "language" model that would allow us to have one master on
the server but serve up filtered versions of the document to our PDA.

The main difference is that it will be common for the client to
want to support multiple languages (at least presentation and
content, but possibly more as in presentation, content, maple, mathematica

Stan.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 12:20:32AM +0200, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> I agree the mime-type of the content of a semantics element is to be
> disjoint of the mime-type of the document but don't you think that the
> type of semantics element (call it a label, an annotation, or...) is
> close to a mime-type and further than a language ?
>
> A mime-type describes possible software operation whereas a language
> can only be made acceptable or not by a human.
> I think it is fair for a computer algebra system to describe through
> mime-types that it suports a set of symbols...

...  and that is no different that a browser saying it supports french.

client X supports vocabulary Y.