Re: consuming the semantic tag (was Re: Subscripts in Content MathML)

Le 12 oct. 05, à 12:43, Stan Devitt a écrit :
> While the mime-type warns the client what is coming, it only applies to
> the whole document - not individual expressions, and it is the wrong
> way round.  We want a client to be able to say send me X - not "Oh!,
> I can handle X. :)".
> [...]
> 2) There is no easy way for a client to choose a particular
> representation
> from the semantics tag.  (Choice by order doesn't cut it and there is
> no systematic way at present to label a markup by role or purpose)
>
> Both would be addressable by a systematic labelling scheme for the
> expressions in the semantics tag - perhaps a kind of a URI scheme.
>
> TODO:  I think we should add "cleaning this up" to the list of things
> to do. (and perhaps content negotiation analogous to language
> negotiation)

Stan,

I agree the mime-type of the content of a semantics element is to be
disjoint of the mime-type of the document but don't you think that the
type of semantics element (call it a label, an annotation, or...) is
close to a mime-type and further than a language ?

A mime-type describes possible software operation whereas a language
can only be made acceptable or not by a human.
I think it is fair for a computer algebra system to describe through
mime-types that it suports a set of symbols...

paul