Re: coordinates content MathML

Bill,

We must keep in mind that the role of a last call is primarily
to capture  outright errors.  That decision at that point in time
really only reflects two things:

1) The issue was not judged an outright error in the draft.
2) An extension mechanism of csymbol and a definitionURL
existed as a workaround that could be used while "measuring"
the real demand for any particular extension for a future draft.

We cannot ignore the context in which it was made and
The decision might have different if it were not "last call."

In general the real challenges for adding new elements are:

1) tracking level of demand for elevating a particular concept
to the explicit list.
2) Weighing the benefit of adding an explicit representation
against the benefits of a stable recommendation that can relied
upon for stability.

I think you'd agree that any decision to change the recommendation
to include new first class elements should be done systematically.

As a first step to helping such concepts migrate to a more official
status, we might consider providing a public list of "proposed extensions"
whose absence has caused significant note since the release of the last
recommendation.  Just use csymbols and point the definitionURL at
a definition (perhaps OpenMath), would be enough so it needn't be
a heavyweight construct.

We also should not be afraid to use the extension mechanism while
we are "measuring" the demand for particular constructs and
getting ready to make an informed decision.

Stan.