RE: MathML application developers

ASCIIMathML.js is a client-side javascript that translates fairly standard ASCII formulas embedded in webpages to Presentation MathML. The script works with Internet Explorer + MathPlayer and Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape 7 in both HTML and XML pages.

The ASCIIMathML language overlaps with a subset of LaTeX, and with graphing calculator syntax, so it is easy to use without much practise. Most formulas are short and simple to type and read, making it possible to type lengthy calculations in a text (or email) editor and still produce quality MathML output.

An online ASCIIMathML editor can be used to preview and translate webpages that use ASCIIMathML to standard XHTML+MathML pages. Another more recent application uses ASCIIMathML to embed a scientific calculator with live MathML output on a webpage (see www.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimathcalculator.html).

ASCIIMathML has been incorporated into weblogs, bulletin boards, wikiservers, course management systems, and other webware. It is freely available from asciimathml.sourceforge.net <http://www.asciimathml.sourceforge.net>  or www.chapman.edu/~jipsen/asciimath.html .

ASCIIsvg.js is a companion script for describing diagrams and graphing functions on webpages (it requires the Adobe SVGviewer and IE or an SVG-enabled version of Firefox/Mozilla, and can be found at www.chapman.edu/~jipsen/asciisvg.html).

I hope these items are of interest.

Regards,
Peter

Dr Peter Jipsen            Associate Professor
Chapman University    Phone: (+1)(714)744-7918
One University Drive    Fax: (+1)(714)628-7340
Orange, CA 92866     Email: jipsen@chapman.edu <mailto:jipsen@chapman.edu>
USA             http://www.chapman.edu/~jipsen