Re: Combining markup

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 00:28, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> As I understand it, parallel markup is required if one wants to offer
> correct sub-term selection

well, not _strictly_ required. If you generate properly grouped mathml
presentation markup it is possible that the structure of presentation is
a refinement of the structure of content. In this case, by adding an
attribute on those presentation elements that actually match a content
subtree, you're able to discriminate between cosmetic presentation
markup and markup that "means something" without looking at the content
level.

What mixed markup gives you is (among other things) the ability to make
the document somehow self-contained, whereas the approach that I just
described is useful if you can "trace back" the content from
presentation, perhaps looking at the value of those mentioned
attributes. Note that this is the approach used in HELM/MoWGLI.

--luca