RE: support of MathML in Safari?

Dear Daniel,

My thoughts would be to establish a plug-in interface that was general
enough to handle XML-based extensions, such as MathML and SVG. It would have
similar functionality to the ones that MathPlayer uses in Internet Explorer
(but better, of course):

- A mechanism (possibly user controllable) would allow the association of
plugin software with a particular namespace URI (eg, MathML or SVG). A
MathPlayer installer would make this association for MathML.

- Based on the above mechanism, Safari would invoke the plugin on each
instance of <math>, passing it a DOM interface starting at that node.

- During layout, Safari would call the plugin with ambient properties, such
as font, point size, text color, etc. The plugin would lay out the equation
and return the dimensions of the equation, as well as baseline and
side-bearings.

- During display (and print), Safari would call the plugin with some kind of
display (print) context, and the plugin would perform graphics operations to
draw the equation.

Hopefully, there would also be other interfaces to support such things as
interaction (mouse clicks, menus) and accessibility. It would possibly make
sense to make this kind of plugin into some kind of standard, although it
might not be within the W3C's scope.

Although MathPlayer obviously has Windows and IE-dependent code, it is
largely platform-independent code that uses library for which me have a Mac
implementation. So, with any luck, it should be too much work.

Paul