RE: Thoughts on MathML and the DOM

Have you looked at the SVG mark up language for  vector
graphics. It is quite powerful.

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

IBM also have a  set of free tutorials for a quick start up.

http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/DC44FAA6F9E47C2386256B60006DADC9?OpenDocument

Lyn

On 5 Mar 2003, at 19:59, Patrick Byers wrote:

> I appreciate your comments on the need for graphics in MathML. I
> have been tinkering with the idea of using a MathML-like markup
> language to define 3D graphics, or more specifically, dimensional
> modeling data.
>
> I can see a language being used to mark up specifications of
> physical objects, for use on the web and otherwise. An example
> would be a manufacturing company that wants to publish parts
> catalogs on the web for engineers to design with. An engineer
> could import dimensional markup into the CAD software he was
> using, and design to it.
>
> What I'm describing is something like VRML, but whereas VRML is
> essentially graphical, this language would be geared toward
> scientific and technical data. It could be used to communicate
> many aspects of a system being analyzed, including motion,
> electrical properties, and material information.
>
> I'm a MathML newcomer, but it seems to me that a language like
> what I've been describing would flow naturally from mathematical
> markup. I'd like to know if anyone has thought of something like
> this, and if so, I'd like to continue discussing it.

----------------------------------

Researcher: Learning Technologies Research Group

email: l.leventhall@Kingston.ac.uk
tel: +44 (0) 20 8547 2000  ext: 62838
fax: +44 (0) 20 8547 7972

address:

Mrs Lyn Leventhall
School of Computing and Information Systems
Faculty of Technology
Kingston University
Penrhyn Road
Kingston upon Thames
Surrey KT1 2EE
UK

-- The views expressed in this message are personal ones and are not necessarily those of Kingston University --
-- If you received this message in error please treat the contents as confidential and inform the sender --