Re: xsl transformation and special characters

David Carlisle wrote:
> when you see an accented A before a character in the latin 1 set this is almost
> always a sign that you are reading the document with a system expecting
> latin 1 (ISO 8859-1) encoding but the document is encoded in UTF-8.
>
> There may be several reasons for this.
>
> 1) your server is sending the document with an HTTP header that
>    incorrectly asserts the document is latin 1 encoded, so overidin
>    the utf8 encoding specified in the file

Well, we have observed that most browsers do honour always the encoding
given in the file even though the server gives a different header. It's
actually funny with titles: try a chinese page, and put the encoding
meta tag before or after the title...

> 2)  your browser is set to override the specified encoding and forcing
>     latin 1 (look for example in view/encoding in IE, it should be set
>     to auto-select).
>
> 3) any number of programs along the way has messed up the encoding
>    information....

Encoding will eternally be a hell precisely for that...
(other systems in the way may include your console !!)

I can't understand that modern OS did not switch entirely to UTF-8...
it's really sad.
Maybe one of the reasons is that Emacs 20 was still widespread these
last years...

Paul