Re: menclose

Hi.

> I did program a strikeout markup and rendering last year. I have
> implemented two more types of strikes that I haven't read in this
> mailing list so far: doublehorizontal and x (NWSE-NESWstrike) which is
> rendered differently than
>   <menclose notation="NWSEstrike">
>        <menclose notation="NESWstrike">
>        </menclose>
> </menclose>

Thanks for the feedback.  It is really valuable to hear what others
are encountering.

The NESWstrike names were one proposal behind.  What we have finally
settled on is the notation attribute is a whitespace separated list
with any number of the values:

   longdiv
   radical
   actuarial
   box
   roundedbox
   left
   right
   top
   bottom
   updiagonalstrike
   downdiagonalstrike
   hoirzontalstrike
   vericalstrike

The renderer is supposed to draw all the notations listed.  Thus the X
cross out is

  <menclose notation="updiagonalstrike downdiagonalstrike">...

However, I don't know what a double horizontal strike is.  Is it like
a equals sign cross out or something like that?

I'm also open to the french-longdiv idea.  However, I wonder if there
isn't a more general solution.  As you say, Canadian londiv is
different from French longdiv.  I know it is a little different in the
Chinese schools as well.  I think the original idea was that the
MathML render should localize its notation by looking at the browser
localization settings.  Of course, no body has implemented that I
think.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com