Re: Sneak Preview of F2 - Formula Finder

Hi David,

You're right, referencing the MathML DTD at W3.org
slows down the rendering quite a bit on MSIE w/
MathPlayer plugin.

Unfortunately, I have some ampersand aliases in my F2
DB, so if I remove the DTD, I will lose the entities
definition that alias greek symbols and other special
math operators.

What would be the best way to improve rendering time
while keeping ampersand aliases for special math
characters?

Thanks,

Kwang

--- David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:

> > Is there a "newer" mathml.xsl to go with the newer
> > DTD?
>
> No. There can not be, if a system is falling over
> the dtd thenit will
> never parse the file and call the xslt engine at
> all.
>
> Actually if you are serving MathML files generated
> from some source ut's
> really better if you don't reference a dtd at all.
> For individual
> formulas teh dtd file is likely to be much bigger
> than the mathml
> expression and so severly affect teh time taken to
> download and render
> the image. This doesn't affect mozilla as it ignores
> the dtd you specify
> anyway.
>

> > I have noted that somtimes Mozilla does not
> display
> > the square-root symbol correctly.
> > the square-root symbol correctly.  Am I missing
> some
> > fonts
>
> Yes that's the sure sign of missing fonts. For moany
> common symbols
> mozilla can get away with using the standard symbol
> font (its not ideal
> but it works) but for teh square root symbol
> thatlacks information on
> the height of the over bar, so it'll come out with a
> big black blob over
> the expression. Mozilla should pop up a dialog box
> warning you if you
> haven't fonts installed.
>
> David

> This message has been checked for all known viruses
> by Star Internet
> delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning
> Service. For further
> information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp
> or alternatively call
> Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning
Service.