Re: <map> element requires block-level enclosure in XHTML 1.1?

Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I think these are all block-level elements. Must the <map> element be
> enclosed by one of these elements in XHTML 1.1?

XHTML 1.1 uses the Client-side Image Map Module as defined in
section 5.8 of "Modularizaton of XHTML" [1], and it says:

    When this module is used, the map element is added to
    the Inline content set of the Text Module.

Since XHTML 1.1 doesn't allow inline-level elements as a direct
child of the 'body' element, you have to enclose it in a block-level
element.

Note that unlike 'map', the 'math' element may be used as a direct
child of the 'body' (or other block-level) element as well as inside
other inline-level elements in XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 DTD.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules#s_imapmodule

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org