RE: ComLine tool Problem

At 08:50 10/30/98 +0100, Linus.Walleij@ecs.ericsson.se wrote:
>> I'm having a problem using the ComLine tool in the library.
>> GET seems to
>> work fine, but when I use POST the process just hangs in the
>> same place ever time.
>
>This issue has been up quite a few number of times. I use version 5.1 j and
>the hangs are not that frequent, though they do occur. I think I showed how
>to do a quick and dirty workaround in unix a while ago, but here it is
>again, what I do is I add a "watchdog". This script runs in CSH under
>Solaris 2.5.1 and may need some modifications on other platforms. I know
>this is no good solution... Unfortunately I am a better shell scripter than
>C-programmer :-)

I don't think this is the same problem. The timeout problem indeed was a
problem in earlier versions, but it should be fixed now. Look for example
at this trace where I post to a "black hole" which doesn't send anything back.

Have you tried with the latest libwww - or are you waiting for the 5.2
release ;?

Henrik

./w3c -post -form http://test.w3.org:8888/ "a=1" "b=2" "c=3" -vp
HTSignal.... Ignoring SIGPIPE
HTAccess.... Accessing document http://test.w3.org:8888/
Credentials. verified
HTTP........ Looking for `http://test.w3.org:8888/'
HTDoConnect. Looking up `test.w3.org:8888'
HTHost aef80 going to state TCP_CHANNEL.
HTHost aef80 going to state TCP_DNS.
Looking up test.w3.org
DNS Add..... `test.w3.org' with 1 home(s) to aeab8
ParseInet... as port 8888 on 18.28.0.98 with 1 homes
HTHost aef80 going to state TCP_NEED_SOCKET.
Socket...... Created 4
Socket...... Turned off Nagle's algorithm
Socket...... Non-blocking socket
Channel..... Hash value is 4
Channel..... Added af7a8 to list aec38
Contacting test.w3.org
HTHost aef80 going to state TCP_NEED_CONNECT.
HTDoConnect. WOULD BLOCK `test.w3.org'
HTHost aef80 going to state TCP_CONNECTED.
HTHost aef80 connected.
HTTP........ Dumping request to `w3chttp.out'
HTTP........ Generating HTTP/1.x Request Headers
HTTP........ Generating General Headers
MIME........ Generating Entity Headers
Writing 1Kbytes
Uploading... Holding abae0 for 2000 ms using time ac428
Uploading... Flushing abae0 with timer ac428
Posting Data from callback function
Posting Data Target is SAVED
Buffer...... Timeout flushing ad388 with timer ac528
Writing 1Kbytes
HTTP Clean.. Called with status -905, net ae098
Request timeout - server did not respond.
HTTPGen..... ABORTING...
HTTPRequest. ABORTING...
MIMERequest. ABORTING...
Channel..... Semaphore set to 0 for channel af7a8
Channel..... Delete af7a8 with semaphore 0
HTTPStatus.. ABORTING...
Channel..... Deleted af7a8, socket 4
Fatal Error: Server timed out
Load End.... Request ended with code -905
WWWLibTerm.. Cleaning up LIBRARY OF COMMON CODE