Re: LIBWWW SURVEY

jose.kahan@w3.org wrote:

> =====================================
>              LIBWWW SURVEY
> =====================================
>
> Opens: September 22, 2000
> Ends:  October 6, 2000
> Goal:  Get a clear idea of what the libwww user community would like to
>        do with libwww
> Means: Mail your responses to this form to www-lib-survey@w3.org

> [1.0] Who are you and how do you use libwww
>
> [1.1] Do you develop or have developed applications that use libwww
>
> [x] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> If you didn't answer yes to [1.1], go to section 2.
>
> [1.2] What kind of application (you may cite the name too, if you want)

 Remote database access

> [1.2] On which platform and environment (mark all that apply)
>
> [ ] X-Windows
> [x] Unix (includes Linux, Solaris, ...)
> [x] Win32
> [ ] GTK
> [ ] Others (please cite):
>
> [1.3] Which language(s) did you use
>
> [x] C
> [ ] C++
> [ ] Others (please cite):
>
> [1.4] How do you rate your programming skills
>
> [x] Experience programmer
> [ ] Average programmer
> [ ] Beginner
>
> [1.5] What parts of libww do you use
>
> [x] XML parser  (may be used in future)
> [ ] RDF parser
> [ ] HTML parser
> [x] HTTP
> [x] FTP    (will be used in future)
> [ ] News
> [ ] Telnet
> [ ] Gopher
> [x] SSL
> [ ] Others (please cite):
>
> [1.6] What applications of libwww do you use
>
> [ ] Examples
> [ ] Robot
> [ ] LineMode parser
> [ ] Command line parser
> [ ] WinCommander
>
> [1.7] What modifications do you make to the code before you use it?
>  None
> [1.8] If you have any tests for libwww code, what parts of libwww
>       do you test and are you willing to contribute the tests to
>       the W3C?

  Currently no standardized tests

> [1.9] Anything else you'd like to say

> [2.0] Your opinion of libwww
>
> [2.1] In your opinion, libwww is (check all that apply):
>
> [x] useful to write sample code
> [ ] useful for learning how to program a WWW application
> [x] useful to write production code
> [ ] Other: please cite
>
> [2.2] Do you find it useful that libwww is written in C
>
> [x] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> [2.3] Please explain your previous answer

  Knowledge of C is widespread, so there is no additional layer of
understanding the rather complicated code

> [2.4] Do you feel that libwww too big?
>
> [x] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> [2.5] If so, which parts would you like to remove, or move to other libraries

  None, but the different libs should be disentangled, so that they can
be used independantly

> [2.6] What are the things that you like the most of libwww

  Broad range of supported protocols (http 1.1, ftp, html 4.0 ..)

> [2.7] What are the things that you dislike the most of libwww

  libwww internal mechanisms are too complicated

> [2.8] What are the things that you would like to change in libwww

   Make it threadsafe, make it really object oriented

> [2.9] What are the things you think that libwww are missing

  Better documentation, more elaborate examples (e.g. reinit of event
loop,
  ssl connections via proxy ...)

> [2.10] Anything else you'd like to say

> Section 3: The future

> [3.1] Let's continue with libwww
>
> [3.1.1] Do you think it's worth it to have a WWW library?
>
> [x] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> [3.1.2] Do you know of any other similar libraries (please give a URL to
>         the project if possible)

  curl/libcurl http://curl.haxx.se
  (*no* parser support i.e. no xml-,rdf-,html- functionality)

> [3.1.2] Do you think it's worth it to invest time continuing enhancing
>         libwww and its architecture.
>
> [ ] Yes
> [x] No
>
> [3.1.3] Are you interested in joining the core team of such a project
>         (enhancing libwww)?
>
> [ ] Yes
> [x] No
>
> [3.1.4]  If you are willing to write some new documentation or improve
>          existing documentation, which topics are you willing to document?
>
> [3.1.5] Anything else you'd like to say

  I think [3.4] and [3.5] are the ways/solutions to be considered

> [3.4] Let's invest our forces enhancing an existing project
>
> [3.4.1] Do you think it's better to enhance another existing project (i.e.,
>         merge our efforts)
>
> [3.4.2] Are you interested in joining the core team of such a project
>         (enhancing an existing project)?
>
> [X] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> [3.4.3] Anything else you'd like to say

> [3.5] Let's write it again
>
> [3.5.1] Do you think the project should stop and start again from a clean
>         slate?
>
> [X] Yes  (as an alternative to [3.4])
> [ ] No
>
> [3.5.2] Which language would you use and why (please take into account
>         portability among systems)?
  C, C++
> [3.5.3] Are you interested in joining the core team of such a project
>         (starting a new libwww project)?
>
> [ ] Yes
> [x] No - just a matter of time I can spend, but would contribute to an "extended" team

> [3.6] Where to host it
>
> [3.6.1] Should W3C continue hosting libwww or any other spin-off projects?
>
> [X] Yes, but see next answer
> [ ] No
>
> [3.6.2] SourceForge (SF): How would feel if the W3C transferred libwww to a
>         SF project?

  This would be a good alternative

> [3.6.3] Are you currently involved with any SF projects?
>
> [x] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> [3.6.4] If so, do you think libwww would fit into that developement paradigm?
>
> [x] Yes
> [ ] No
>
> [3.6.5] Do you have other suggestions of where libwww should be hosted?

  No

> [3.6.6] Anything else you'd like to say

> [4.0] Your comments
>
> [4.1] Anything else you'd like to say

 The contributors have done great work, but it's time for a
restructuring/reengineering

Kind regards,
Hermann Gundel
--