Re: Attributes of Resource, Property Editors and JMX

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Simon Heaton wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Does anyone know the rational behind the small set of attributes defined
> for the Resource class? In particular I am wondering why attributes such
> as content encoding, length and mime type have been pushed into
> HTTPFrame. Somehow I feel that they are more naturally related to a
> Resource (or at least a FileResource).

FTP don't have any MIME notions, same for many protocols. ALso the file
itself doesn't contain this information either.
However I have to admit that putting it in HTTPFrame was a mistake, it
should have been in a "metadata frame" describing in a general way the
underlying resource. (And then have the protocol frames getting data out
of those metadata frames).

> Following on the attribute theme, can attributes support property
> editors as described in the Java Bean specification?

Resources supports events, and listener are used internally, Attributes
do not have them. Of course it may be changed at some point, but adding a
listener to the resource will give you the right info
(AttributeChangedEvent). With a few changes it may be possible to swith to
the beans structure.

> And finally: Are there any plans to migrate Jigadmin to a JMX based
> implementation?

Not yet, one possible plan would be to allow a user responsible for a set
of resources to modify the configuration, the problem being the edition of
the indexers.

--
Yves Lafon - W3C