Re: Updating Jigsaw to Java 2...

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, David Li wrote:

> Steping through the codes of Jigsaw, I found there are about 324
> deprecation on the classes dividing roughly as the following.
>
> 1. XML API. I uses Xerces 1.4.1 which contains SAX 2 API and deprecate
> SAX 1 used by Jigsaw.

XP will still be used for the deserialization of stores, as it is faster
than all the others (of course it doesn't preclude the use of other
parsers and parsing api). However it does not preclude moving to SAX2

> 2. Servlet API. Jigsaw implements probably 2.0 API where
> HttpSessionContext.java is still valid. This class is deprecated in 2.1
> and will be removed in the future.

The plan is to move to 2.2API at some point (and to do war files).

> 3. Use of java.io.StringBufferInputStream and several deprecated String
> API. These API has effect on incorrect handling of non-ASCII characters.
> It may affect the international use.
>
>   I am in Taiwan where primary languages is Traditional Chinese. Having
> a system correctly implement I18N is important for us.

Some of them shouldn't be replaced for performance purposes, unless things
have changed with recent jdk :)

> 4. Deprecated Date functions.
>
> I'd like to know what would be the minimum requirement of Java to run
> Jigsaw in the future version. We will update Jigsaw accordingly.

At some point there was a Date Thread to use less cpu to compute date,
very useful for the logger (the main bottleneck)

--
Yves Lafon - W3C