Re: Jigsaw install on Win98?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
To: <www-jigsaw@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 1999 7:57 AM
Subject: Jigsaw install on Win98?

> I'm having trouble installing/running Jigsaw on Windows 98.
>
> I went to
> http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/#Getting
> and grabbed
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/Mirror/jigsaw_2.1.0.zip

> There it says
> Before reading further make sure:
> [...]
> That you have downloaded any implementation of Java for your
> platform (JDK1.1.x or JDK1.2)
>
> well... I haven't downloaded any implementation of Java for my platform,
> but Win98 has a java implementation, so I'm trying that out. Is it known
> to work or to not work?
>
> java Install
>
> but it can't find 'java' so I try:

Congrads on reading the manual, but how about following it.  There is a
reason MS does not name their program 'java'--it's not.  Go get JDK1.2.2
from Sun.  Install it.  You will then have a 'java' implementation, and the
program will run.  Make a batch file for setting the CLASSPATH.  You aren't
expected to type these things again and again.

If make some changes to the source and recompile against the MS class
libaries you would be able to use jview.  That is not what you want to do.

Jim