Re: how do we build custom realms

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Zahid Ahmed wrote:

> A couple of question about realm support in
> Jigsaw.
>
> 1. Is there a recommended way to do HTTP Basic
> Authentication scheme to do 1) password lookups
> via LDAP? 2) password verificatoion via LDAP?
>
> 2. W.r.t. #1, how can we build a custom realm that can
> extend the authrealm and be configured programmatically
> in the httpd during initialization? I want to configure
> the custom realm via a different admin api than provided
> by Jigsaw Admin. Looking at the realm and auth filter
> apis, it seems that this is possible since all the
> auth filter returns is a true/false or an ProtocolException
> for authenticate().

With the latest developpement versions (see the cvs tree directly for the
sources), a new way of doing authentication is to use the new acl API.
See org.w3c.jigsaw.acl package taken from the cvs server.
http://dev.w3.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/java/classes/org/w3c/jigsaw/acl/
AclRealm should be the entry point for your need.
More to come for the documentation on the setup of this.