Re: Server Stops Responding and Extension-based forwarding/mirroring/proxy(?)

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Bret Holstein wrote:

> I'm new to Jigsaw but fully intend to replace my Apache/Jserv if it proves
> up to the task.  So far I've been trying to work out some environmental
> things that are unique to my setup.  In the process I ran across a problem
> and a question.
>
> It seems that, when I put Jigsaw into production for testing and load it
> down using a crude method through www.websitegarage.com, the server will not
> recover and stops responding to all requests.  I do have several virtual
> servers configured but am only directing this against one page and the
> related links.  How do I get to the bottom of this?  If you try to access
> any site on Jigsaw after this the connection will be made but then
> eventually time out.  I'm open to suggestions. (233 MHz Pentium, 128 M)

Hum, some stack trace would help :) It looks like a deadlock problem, if
you are doing forwarding, you may want to remove the cache filter from the
client side stack (properties->proxy->filters
or directly org.w3c.www.protocol.http.filters=
in the property file. (There are still some issues some time (that's the
problem... not reproductible easily) where the server stops when the cache
is cleaned while data are downloaded but only under some conditions.
But a stack trace when it is blocked would help a lot!

> Now for the question...I started using Cold Fusion early on and still have
> some apps that I haven't migrated.  The way I handled this in Apache was
> through mod_rewrite where all files requested with the extension '.cfm' were
> proxied (without redirect) to an NT machine behind the main server.  Some of
> the URLS had to be rewritten too.  I thought of using FORWARD or MIRROR
> frames to do this but haven't quite got it straight in my head how I would
> set up the extension so that it would be able to do this.  I also considered
> a proxy servlet but haven't had enough experience there yet.  Could someone
> fill me in on some background as to how FORWARD or MIRROR might be used with
> an extension and/or how a proxy servlet might look that would do this for
> me...

Hum... you should try to create a FramedResource with a ForwardFrame for
the extension, and apply a client side filter on the client (see above).
you may want to take a look at proxy dispatcher for a simple example (it
does not do URL rewriting for now, but is is easy to modify it to do so,
and add regexp replace, like Apache's mod_rewrite).
Hope this helps,