Re: NEWBIE: Problems and Questions

Yves Lafon wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Michael Crowl wrote:
>
> > 3)    I am also having the same trouble others had (in list archives) with
> > image files timing out.  Docs get served up just fine, but images make
> > the browser (NN 4.6) wait for connections to close.  When I hit Stop on
> > the browser, some of the images appear and seem to be loaded, but others
> > not at all.  I tried switching KeepAlive off, but no change.  None of
> > the answers in the archive were very helpful, I'm afraid.
>
> Some browsers have problems with content negotiation, if you change links
> so that "foo" points to "foo.gif" in the HTML files, it will be ok, as it
> will bypass the negotiatied resources.

For the first three days, w3c_home would not display on the Jigsaw documents,
though
jigsaw, right next to it, would.  At one point, I re-indexed Icons, and all
seemed well.

I can't get servlets to work, though.  I *think* I hit all the steps in the
User's Guide,
but can not invoke a servlet yet.  Now, while reviewing the documentation, the
illustrations
will not load -- I waited five minutes.  jigadmin hung trying to shut down
jigsaw, so I
'kill'ed both processes and started them again.  I thought to re-index Doc,
experimenting
with fixing content negotiation, but that also hung, doing nothing.  I read
through the servlet
material several times before the browser began refusing to load .gif files, so
I'm confused about
how to proceed.

My goal is to develop on this system with Sun's JSP (after I understand how to
make servlets
work, I need to understand how to implant JSP & corresponding JSDK - or JSWDK -
into
Jigsaw ;)).

--
System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u
Memory size: 256 Megabytes

SUNW,Ultra-1
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.7       Generic October 1998

Java(TM) 2 SDK, Standard Edition
Release Candidate for Version 1.2.2

NetscapeŽ Communicator 4.51 (From Sun)
--