RE: Performance Issues between IE and Netscape

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Matthew Baldwin wrote:

> Here is another little quirk.
>
> Running Personal Web Server: ( a derivative of IIS from MS)
>
> I can type in "localhost" without the "http://" using Netscape and I get to
> the site.
>
> If I do the same from IE, IE opens the site as well.
>
> Running Jigsaw:
>
> I can type in "localhost:8001" without the "http://" using Netscape and I
> get to the site.
>
> however....
>
> If I do the same with IE, I an invalid syntax error is generated from the
> server and the browser is unable to open the site.
>
> Jigsaw is listening for http requests on 8001, is this any different then
> listening on port 80 or is there a bug on how Jigsaw is handling IE http
> requests?

This has nothing to do with the server.

A URL must be in the form http://servername:port ...

You can leave off the port and it defaults to 80.

If you leave off the http:// in Navigator, and enter "host:8080" it will
translate that to http://host:8080 (or possibly some other service if the
name begins with "news", "ftp", etc.).

If you leave off the http:// in IE and enter "host:8080" it does not
translate it.  It does translate "host".  It isn't "wrong" or "right", it
is just the way it works.