RE: Performance Issues between IE and Netscape

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Matthew Baldwin wrote:

> Here is another little quirk.
>
> Running Personal Web Server: ( a derivative of IIS from MS)
>
> I can type in "localhost" without the "http://" using Netscape and I get to
> the site.
>
> If I do the same from IE, IE opens the site as well.
>
> Running Jigsaw:
>
> I can type in "localhost:8001" without the "http://" using Netscape and I
> get to the site.
>
> however....
>
> If I do the same with IE, I an invalid syntax error is generated from the
> server and the browser is unable to open the site.
>
> Jigsaw is listening for http requests on 8001, is this any different then
> listening on port 80 or is there a bug on how Jigsaw is handling IE http
> requests?

Running on port 80 or 8001 is the same. The choice of 8001 is due to the
fact that running on port < 1024 on unix requires special privileges.
Can you run jigsaw with the -trace option and mail me the traces? Having
the real request would help :)

> Additionally, Is the www.w3.org site running Jigsaw?

Not the main site, at that time, Jigsaw was not stable enough, and
changing the whole site would require too much work :)
Some servers, like jigsaw.w3.org and most of our internal servers are
running jigsaw.