Re: Clarification on the indexer

Bernard Leach writes:
 > Anselm Baird-Smith wrote:
 > > Are you familiar with the way Jigsaw's indexer work ? WHat happens is
 > > the following: when a directory resource is queried for an URL it
 > > doesn't know about, it checks to see if an appropriate file exsist. If
 > > so, it hands it out to the resource indexer, that will return a
 > > suitable resource for that file (depending on extensions, if this is a
 > > file, or directory templates if it is a directory).
 >
 > You make this sound quite simple but from what I've seen in the
 > source code its not so!

I think most people are lacking an architectural document on
Jigsaw. As a hint, the only thing I can say is the following: "don't
try to understand all of Jigsaw before actually implementing
stuff". Try following the tutorials, then write a couple resources,
then eventually try to get to the big picture.

Anyway, I hope the above did help you find your way. If not ask more
questions, this will influence the documentation...

 > ... [about new indexer interface]...

 > This sounds useful to me!  I am interested in extending resource
 > indexing so that indexes would be replicated between a group of
 > servers.
 >
 > To do this I would need to know when resources were created and
 > deleted.  I've looked at adding this to the current indexing
 > mechanism but been buried under a pile of classes and interfaces!!

Notification is something that is not currently well supported in
Jigsaw, at several places. I would really like to have a consistent
kind of event model across all Jigsaw, so you could say:

- I am interested on any event that happen on that resource (eg
  attribute changes, it has answered a request, it has failed to
  answer a request, etc).
- I am interested in knowing when the indexer creates a new resource
  (this is the one you ask for specifically).
- I am interested in knowing when the server is
  {shutdown|retsarted|...}

Any of you read the latest java beans specification ? It might well be
that the 6th Jigsaw redesign will be toward turning resources into
beans...

Anselm.