Re: jigsaw resources under fastcgi

> On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Brian Millett wrote:
> > S. Alexander Jacobson writes:
> >  |Has anyone gotten jigsaw resources to run on top of fast-cgi?
> >  |On top of the netscape server, apache, iis, website?
> > Just the cgi-fcgi gateway as a CgiResource.  However Jigsaw seems to
> > "hang" after the FIRST invocation of the fcgi.  Anselm is looking into
> > the reason.
>
> I think we are talking about different things.  I would like to develop
> for a single java-in-process runtime httpd environment that runs with all
> the major web servers.  I am interested in fastcgi because it seems to
> provide the in-process capability to apache, ncsa, and openmarket servers.
>
> Right now, the only way to write server-side java applications that run on
> all webservers is to use a cgi-wrapper that loads java on every
> invocation (VERY SLOW).  An in-process java environment would reduce
> invocation time substantially and provides even greater advantages when
> used with jdbc or other connection oriented protocols.

Actually, you can run a Java application as a fastcgi External Application,
which means you load Java only once. See the fastcgi Java documentation for
more info. Unfortunately, as far as I know, this only works directly with an
Open Market Web server. The documentation also mentions that you could get the
same effect on other servers using cgi-fcgi, but because of the way that Java
implements ServerSocket, you might have to make some minor changes to the
cgi-fcgi code.