Re:Request for feature: Logger.sync()

Alexandre Rafalovitch writes:
 > At 9:03 PM +1000 12/11/96, Anselm Baird_Smith wrote:
 > > > If flush function was present, I could create a log checkpoint resource
 > > > very easily. Or maybe a resource that can flush the buffer every minute
 > > > whether it is full or not (I can see some problems with keeping that
 > > > resource from being purged though.. ).
 > >
 > >This checkpoint resource is in my todo list, it should also (config
 > >attributes) checkpoint the global jigsaw state every N seconds (so
 > >that we use only one thread for all the checkpointing)
 > >
 > >It's so easy to write that I'll write it today :-)
 > >
 > >Anselm.
 >
 > That reminds me,
 >
 > I assume you want to use Timer entry to do checkpoint every N seconds.
 > Question is, how are you going to put Timer entry in the first place. If
 > you want to hardcode it, don't!

Well, the problem with the httpd timer object, is that it's already a
bottleneck (and as commiting changes might take long time, you really
want a separate thread to run the code)

 > What about creating startup resource property for Jigsaw that would be
 > called every time Jigsaw is started. It is easy to write something
 > simulating .profile file or Startup folder on Mac and PC as a container
 > resource. That would allow to start timer based events and maybe some other
 > things like agents frameworks. There would be a need for shut down event
 > too, of course.

My idea was to have a Runnable resource, that would be started at
initialize time (but then, as you mention, you would need to hit it
just to start it...)

I'll right the code right now and post it when done, then we'll be
able to have more details discussion. Stay tuned !

Anselm.