Re: OLD CGI CALLS

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Anselm Baird-Smith wrote:

> Let's assume you have a CGI-script (or program) in
> Jigsaw/WWW/foo/abtcgil.exe (where Jigsaw/WWW is your server document
> directory). In order to install it what you need to do is to wrap it
> inside a w3c.jigsaw.forms.CgiResource.

My scenarion is slightelydifferent. I wish to use Jigsaw to envoke a
CGI script dependant upon it having a certain extension. (I do not own
the CGI conformant software and do not have the cability to convert it
to a content filter, which is what it does.)

I add the extension, XXX say, using /Admin/Extensions and button
[Add Extension]. I set the extension as XXX and the class as
w3c.jigsaw.forms.CgiResource.  I then go to /Admin/Extensions/XXX
to modify the attributes.

When I set the command attribute to the full pathname of my scripts
executable and press [OK] I do get a slight problem. Lynx (2.5FM)
receives a status 302, which it considers a redirect, from the action
of POSTing to /Admin/Extensions/XXX/Attributes. Lynx seems to barf on
this because it redirects to ".." which it says is an invalid address.
*However* when I EXIT Jigsaw and restart it -- the entry for command
is still in the database when I look again.

> However,
> the only thing you really need to know (if your script is not too
> fancy), is that the command attribute should be set to the full-path
> of the program to run (in your case it will be something like
> /.../Jigsaw/WWW/foo/abtcgi.exe). You can pass it additional parameter
> by writing each of them in a separate line in the TextArea widget.

My fullpathname is on the first line of the textarea -- however when I
go to browse a file with an XXX extension I am informed that the CgiResource
was incorrectly configured, and that no command is available. Looking at the
source code there is only one place this error message is generated --
and that is when ATTR_COMMAND, the result of the registered 'command'
attribute is null.

> If this is not the
> case, don't hesitate to ask more question - I will hopefully be able
> to add a new entry in the FAQ ;-)

Thanks for your time -- and for Jigsaw.

Adam
--
NEON Inc. 7400 East Orchard Road, Suite 230, Englewood, CO 80111 +1-303-6943933