OLD CGI CALLS

Doug Marker writes:
 > Anselm,
 >
 > We still have a few cgi calls calling interfaces to other systems that
 > we have to support until we convert the cgi executables to Java.
 >
 > I am having a little difficulty finding info on how to use the 'legacy'
 > cgi call stuff - is there a quick explaination ?
 >
 > we mostly want to cause execution of an 'C' program abtcgil.exe that
 > establishes a link to a smalltalk server we also have for accessing some
 > databases.

Let's assume you have a CGI-script (or program) in
Jigsaw/WWW/foo/abtcgil.exe (where Jigsaw/WWW is your server document
directory). In order to install it what you need to do is to wrap it
inside a w3c.jigsaw.forms.CgiResource.

First, popup the foo directory resource editor, by pointing your
browser to /Admin/Editor/foo. Click the AddResource link, enter the
name of your script (it need not be the name of the executable), and
the class of the resource to create
(w3c.jigsaw.forms.CgiResource). Click the Ok button, then go to foo's
ExistingResource by following the appropriate link. At this point you
may wish to review the CgiResource reference manual, available on your
server at /User/Reference/w3c.jigsaw.forms.CgiResource.html). However,
the only thing you really need to know (if your script is not too
fancy), is that the command attribute should be set to the full-path
of the program to run (in your case it will be something like
/.../Jigsaw/WWW/foo/abtcgi.exe). You can pass it additional parameter
by writing each of them in a separate line in the TextArea widget.

Once this is done, you should normally be all set. If this is not the
case, don't hesitate to ask more question - I will hopefully be able
to add a new entry in the FAQ ;-)

Anselm.