Error messages - What do they mean?

Alexandre Rafalovitch writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > While exploring Jigsaw, I receive a fare number of error messages. I cannot
 > seem to connect them to anything I do on a client and I am very interested
 > to know what situation would cause such error messages to appear. If
 > anybody knows under which circumstances following errors arise, please
 > reply.
 >
 > Errors:
 > <c0;client0>: caught ClientException: [w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException] Bad
 > file number

This one is the one that scares me. It looks like Jigsaw closes twice
the same output stream , or something along these lines. If ever you
have more infos, let me know.

 > <c0;client0>: caught ClientException: [w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException]
 > Broken pipe
 > <c0;client0>: caught ClientException: [w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException]
 > Client output stream closed.

These one remind me of something, as far as I remember they are pretty
normal (client closed the connection, and Jigsaw closed the
connection, before some reply was emited, the clietn thread then tries
to emit the reply, and get the second error).

 > <c0;client0>: caught ClientException: [w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException]
 > Couldn't parse the request: expecting  (32) got =9D(-1)
 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This one is totally normal: it happens when the client has closed the
connection, while the server was trying to kepp it alive. It shouldn't
appear in the errlog file, in factm this is the bug.
[BTW: the read -> -1 is a typicall indication of the above error]

 > <c0;client0>: caught ClientException: [w3c.jigsaw.http.ClientException]
 > IOError while parsing request: Resource temporarily unavailable
 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is when Jigsaw decides to close a connection (following its LRU
management policy, or because the connection has remiain opened for
more then "idel timeout" - see /Admin/PropertiesEditor). This on
should not appear on the errlog too.

 > <c0;client0>: caught exception [java.lang.NullPointerException] null

Yuck ! This one os defintely a bug, once again I am interested in any
infos about it. (Try running jigsaw -trace, after a recompilation of
the classes in javac -g mode).

 > I am especially interested in causes for underlined errors (expecting bla..
 > and Resource unavailable) because I have them very often. They take at
 > least 80% of errlog.

Yep, the one you underlined are not error in fact, and as I said, they
shouldn't be reported to the errlog file...[added in my todo list]

Anselm.
[BTW: Alex, sorry for still having my mail addr broken, another two
days meeting, then there is some hope that I'll get time to fix it]