CvsDirectoryResource, and server configuration in general

Eric Anderson writes:
 > I have just started playing with Jigsaw and have been attempting to
 > configure the CvsDirectoryResource.  I have been fairly successful,
 > but I have some questions:
 >
 > 	1) Configuration of the properties:
 > 		I needed to configure
 >
 > 			w3c.cvs.path
 > 			w3c.cvs.root
 > 			w3c.cvs.wrapper
 >
 > 		for my system.  I did this by editing httpd.props.  Am I
 > 		correct in my deduction that this is needed due to the
 > 		lack of a generic properties editor?

This is - at this point - the only way to handle things. I don't know
yet how I will solve the problem, one idea would be to wrap properties
in a resource, and then handle the resource to the
GenericResourceEditor. Basically at this point, properties don't have
a description that would allow the generic resource editor to build an
editor for them.

 > 	2) Viewing of files:
 > 		I followed the tutorial on setting up the CvsDirectoryReource
 > 		as a directory template.  I used this to examine some CVS
 > 		repositories.  My problem was that Jigsaw was filtering out
 > 		all the files whose type it could not determine.  For example,
 > 		a directory containing lots of .C and .h files under CVS
 > 		would show up in Jigsaw as only containing the CVS directory.
 > 		The browse of the CVS directory would show me the CVS status
 > 		of the files that were local, but they would not show up
 > 		themselves.
 >
 > 		Do I need to create resources or types to describe every type
 > 		of file?? or can I install some form of default resource.

Yes, if you want to server these files through http (which is not the
same thing as viewing them in the CVS directory), you will have to
declare the .c and .h extensions by using the /Admin/Extensions
resource.

 > 	3) Under what circumstances and where are the .jigidx files generated?
 >
 > 		I am concerned about file system pollution by the server.  I
 > 		want to serve files that are part of a large NFS file system
 > 		that will be accessed by many macines for many purposes and
 > 		I can't be sure that my Jigsaw server will be the only one
 > 		accessing a particular directory in this NFS space.  In
 > 		addition, I can see reasons that we may have multiple servers
 > 		accessing the same space with different resource configurations
 > 		so that the servers view the same data, but serve it in
 > 		different ways.
 >
 > 		I would like to be able to contain the information stored in
 > 		the .jigidx files in some server local space so that multiple
 > 		servers can configure themselves and the resources associated
 > 		with particular directories without fear of conflict.

This will be included in next release. Basically you will be able to
specify a directory in which Jigsaw will put all the .jigidx files. As
you mention, this will allow for multiple servers to run in the same
space, but under different configurations.

Anselm.