Re: URI problems (+feature request)

Jon A. Pastor wrote:

 > Yes, it solved the problem for me. BTW, I wasn't seeing the .cfg file
 > from 1.1, because there was a new one installed with 1.2, and it had
 > some value (I forget what) by default that was apparently not a valid
 > URI. I deleted it, and that's what fixed the problem.

Not exactly. The isaviz.cfg file that ships with the IsaViz distribution
is not the one used by default when starting IsaViz. The one in your
home directory is (it is created the first time you save your preferences).

 > One thing I've been using IsaViz for is visualizing existing RDF (and
 > DAML) ontologies. This is much easier if most of the details are
 > suppressed -- e.g., everything but the subclass links. I actually
 > hacked the source code (not very well) in 1.1 to do this, and will
 > apply the same hack to 1.2 for the present.

You're the first person I've heard of who has been hacking my source
code! I hope it was not too painful.
Now, you will probably be happy to learn that I am currently working on
IsaViz 2.0. This version will offer a "Graph Stylesheet" mechanism which
will allow people to apply styles to nodes and edges in the graph
depending on their type. For instance, you'll be able to set specific
node shape and color for resources of a given type. Same thing for
properties, and typed literals.

This mechanism will also allow you to specify properties to be hidden,
depending on the subject's type. I believe this is what you are
describing here.

 >  Also, a way to show or hide everything up to the fragment character
 > '#' in node labels would help a great deal, even if it's only for
 > nodes in the default namespace for a given file.

I finished implementing this two weeks ago. It was already possible to
assign namespace bindings to properties and have the prefixes displayed
in place of the namespace URIs for properties. But this worked only for
properties, not for resources. Now it works also for resources, and for
literal datatype URIs.

So, for example, if you have a resource
http://www.w3.org/People/Emmanuel and if you declared the following
namespace binding:
w3p = http://www.w3.org/People/

then the above-mentioned resource will be displayed as w3p:Emmanuel

The prefix bindings are also supported in input textfields. So for
instance, when creating a new resource, you no longer need to enter the
full namespace URI. You can use the prefix instead. Same thing for
datatypes.

Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Pietriga (emmanuel@w3.org) |  MIT - Laboratory for Computer Science
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)     |  Room NE43-344