[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2022-01-27


            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

27 January 2022

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://www.w3.org/events/meetings/5e4758ba-3e80-4e71-b333-5f2c4fd95abd/20220127T150000
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2022/01/27-i18n-irc


           Addison, Atsushi, Bert, David, JcK, Richard


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Edits in Glossary and Specdev
     6. [9]String Meta explainer
     7. [10]AOB?
     8. [11]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

   Agenda Review

   Action Items

    <addison> [12]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: 1094, writing explainer and work on it

    addison: 1098?

    <addison> action-1098?

    richard: reviewed this week

    <trackbot> [13]action-1098: Richard Ishida to Review
    lang-bidi-use-cases for clarity of use cases of specific
    override -- due 2021-11-25 -- OPEN

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1098

    richard: looks fine to me

    addison: 1103, come back on this later as agenda

    addison: 1104, will work

    addison: 1109, no much happened

    <addison> action-1110?

    <trackbot> [14]action-1110: Addison Phillips to Add "... and
    strings" to glossary definition of localizable content -- due
    2022-01-27 -- OPEN

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1110

    <addison> close action-1110

    <trackbot> Closed action-1110.

    addison: 1110, PR done

   Info Share

    <addison> close action-1098

    <trackbot> Closed action-1098.

    richard: PLH is asking of use of tracker
    … basically, asking who still using tracker, and what do you
    use if not
    … few responses, only our group seems to use it
    … it's really useful, because can operate it from irc
    … that might be nice and easy to use

    addison: and you can track emails
    … using email like subject lines
    … also using to pick a link of github where to comment on

    bert: dom and I are talking about irc bot to track things with
    … a bot can find a title from github on some message to irc
    … to pull information about github issues

    richard: useful on irc is two, open/close, and interaction in
    … one possibility, can send a message to irc on issue closed

    addison: if bot can close issue on command, that could help

    bert: like trackbot, bot can send a comment to github issue, so
    something like that could be possible

    addison: can continue something like tracker vs. something
    … loosing features is pain, it was handy for long years

   RADAR Review

    <addison> [15]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [15] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: css conditional level 4

    atsushi: no issue found

    addison: move to completed. and ask to reply to the issue

    atsushi: sure

    addison: NAUR?

    bert: not yet

    addison: IMSC-HRM, need some more time


      [16] https://www.w3.org/TR/2022/WD-RangeRequest-20220125/


      [17] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-japanese/2022JanMar/0044.html

    atsushi: FPWD of IFT rangerequest out, chatting with Japanese
    font vendors

    ACTION: addison: add rangerequest to review radar

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1111 - Add rangerequest to review
    radar [on Addison Phillips - due 2022-02-03].

   Edits in Glossary and Specdev

    addison: kind of infoshare, updating glossary and specdev
    … couple of corrections

    <addison> [18]https://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-glossary/

      [18] https://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-glossary/

    <r12a> [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/10

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/10

    richard: read, and have couple of comments

    addison: go over bunch of definitions, we have added a
    definition of `code units`

    <addison> [20]https://www.w3.org/TR/

      [20] https://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-glossary/#def_code_unit

    addison: where we had conversations before
    … rewritted `code unit` as a stand alone text

    richard: I did have a comment on this also
    … better than before, and I should explain `code unit` is
    better to be by byte, word is quite Unicode colleagues specific
    … grad to have one text for Javascript 16bit

    richard: this is kind of old style of code unit, it is not
    limited to there when one use supplimental etc.

    addison: but still within UTF-16

    richard: need to talk about `code unit` of UTF-16, and need to
    dig into code units for these

    addison: infra defines bunch of things on code points, DOM
    provably use

    richard: just wondering how we can say that it's on its way out
    for general users of javascript

    addison: technical jargon from Unicode, also there are some in

    [discussion on definition, jargon, wording]

    addison: if people doesn't familiar with multi-byte fundamental
    of Unicode, byte is not appropriate

    <addison> [21]https://www.w3.org/TR/

      [21] https://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-glossary/#def_code_unit

    addison: universal character set from Unicode could be
    additional interesting item

    jck: universal character set teminology is still used there, I

    <addison> [22]https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

      [22] https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

    richard: for additional change, added a language on mojibake

    <r12a> [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/10/files

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/10/files

    richard: I've put lang in q, some issue found. and changed to
    insert span
    … for this q element not represent as lang=ja, different style

    addison: I can switch q into quote marks

    addison: for specdev, added some and also glossary

    <addison> [24]https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

      [24] https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

    addison: some respec errors

    <addison> [25]https://respec.org/

      [25] https://respec.org/xref/?term=natural+language&types=_CONCEPT_

    richard: could be cross link converted from termref

    <r12a> [26]https://github.com/w3c/respec/wiki/

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/respec/wiki/Auto-linking-external-references

    [27]example of data-cite

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/ruby-t2s-req/blob/0f1caf26b7a56f2016a54f81daa2728a27c776e2/index.html#L115

    ACTION: addison: follow up on glossary linking from specdev so
    we can publish to TR

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1112 - Follow up on glossary linking
    from specdev so we can publish to tr [on Addison Phillips - due

   String Meta explainer

    <addison> [28]https://github.com/aphillips/i18n-discuss/blob/

      [28] https://github.com/aphillips/i18n-discuss/blob/gh-pages/explainers/string-meta-explainer.md

    addison: need to add some examples to explainer
    … will provide opportunity to people for comment and suggestion

    richard: where is a discussion with INFRA?

    addison: worth adding

    addison: will update per richard's comments, and also drop some

    richard: just wondering on worth putting, how about call as

    addison: open to option.

    richard: there is a local.css at the top level, which i18n
    notes could use


      [29] https://github.com/aphillips/i18n-discuss/blob/gh-pages/notes/json-bidi.html

    <addison> [30]https://github.blog/changelog/

      [30] https://github.blog/changelog/2021-10-31-warning-about-bidirectional-unicode-text/


Summary of action items

     1. [31]addison: add rangerequest to review radar
     2. [32]addison: follow up on glossary linking from specdev so
        we can publish to TR

Received on Thursday, 27 January 2022 16:16:04 UTC