W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2020

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-09-03

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 16:53:45 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <3d8970b7-7240-710c-02b4-7f2f274bb3c2@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2020/09/03-i18n-minutes.html







text extract follows:


- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

03 Sep 2020

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Aug/0036.html

Attendees

    Present
           addison, Fuqiao, Atsushi, JcK, fsasaki, Bert

    Regrets

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR Review
          5. [8]Fwd: Tentative->Confirmed TPAC meetings this week
          6. [9]TPAC planning
          7. [10]CSS issue about language and quotes
          8. [11]ltr/rtl/auto definition for manifest spec
          9. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      * [14]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-941?

    <trackbot> action-941 -- Addison Phillips to Notify screen wake
    lock of review complete with no issues -- due 2020-08-20 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/941

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/941

    close action-941

    <trackbot> Closed action-941.

    action-944?

    <trackbot> action-944 -- Richard Ishida to Set up ltli for
    echidna -- due 2020-08-20 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/944

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/944

    close action-944

    <trackbot> Closed action-944.

    action-946?

    <trackbot> action-946 -- Richard Ishida to Create definition of
    'ltr'/'rtl'/'auto' that can be referenced by other
    specifications in string-meta -- due 2020-09-03 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/946

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/946

    <xfq_> [19]https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/52

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/52

    richard: PR for string-meta, please to review

    action-948?

    <trackbot> action-948 -- Addison Phillips to Submit issue 953
    to web-xr with appropriate rewording based on telecon -- due
    2020-09-03 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/948

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/948

    close action-948

    <trackbot> Closed action-948.

    action-950?

    <trackbot> action-950 -- Felix Sasaki to Submit comments on
    cognitive disabilities doc -- due 2020-09-03 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [21]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/950

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/950

    close action-950

    <trackbot> Closed action-950.

    richard: you weren't able to put the labels on them?

    <xfq>
    [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is
    %3Aopen+label%3As%3Acoga-usable

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:s:coga-usable

Info Share

    <r12a> [23]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/samples/

      [23] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/samples/

    richard: there is also an app called "samples" ^^
    ... with examples of various scripts

    jck: this is similar to omniglot

    richard: actually took some samples from there, the UDHR text.
    I typed in myself

    xfq: difference from phrases page?

    richard: this contains many more samples, but the phrases page
    contains additional phrases, such as 'W3C Internationalization
    Activity'

RADAR Review

    [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    <xfq> [25]https://github.com/immersive-web/webxr/issues/1121

      [25] https://github.com/immersive-web/webxr/issues/1121

    <xfq>
    [26]https://github.com/immersive-web/webxr/pull/1122/files

      [26] https://github.com/immersive-web/webxr/pull/1122/files

    [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/953

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/953

    close?

    close

    <xfq> [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/129

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/129

    <xfq> [29]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/114

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/114

    <xfq> [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/248

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/248

    <r12a> [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/114

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/114

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: close old webshare request, link from
    the new one, and clean up radar

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-951 - Close old webshare request,
    link from the new one, and clean up radar [on Addison Phillips
    - due 2020-09-10].

Fwd: Tentative->Confirmed TPAC meetings this week

    [32]https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2020/GroupMeetings

      [32] https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2020/GroupMeetings

    <r12a>
    [33]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020S
    ep/0000.html

      [33] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Sep/0000.html

    [34]https://www.w3.org/wiki/I18N_2020_TPAC

      [34] https://www.w3.org/wiki/I18N_2020_TPAC

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: send confirmation of our TPAC
    meetings

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-952 - Send confirmation of our tpac
    meetings [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-09-10].

TPAC planning

    [35]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020A
    ug/0035.html

      [35] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Aug/0035.html

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: reply to CSS to schedule TPAC joint
    meeting including a plea for topics in advance

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-953 - Reply to css to schedule tpac
    joint meeting including a plea for topics in advance [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2020-09-10].

    agenda for next week to review html issues

CSS issue about language and quotes

    <r12a>
    [36]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020A
    ug/0034.html

      [36] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Aug/0034.html

    richard: here's the email
    ... was asking HTML to solve a problem for a while
    ... the language used to select the quote marks was that of the
    quote rather than the surrounding text
    ... events have overtaken it
    ... CSS has provided 'auto'
    ... browsers should manage selection of quotes themselves based
    on language
    ... and i asked them to include a requirement to use language
    of the text outside the quote
    ... the WHATWG think now they don't need to specify any more
    ... so they plan to remove the whole rendering section
    ... with all the lists from CLDR, etc.

    addison: but then we need to shift to CSS.....?

    richard: there is an issue that I raised

    <r12a> [37]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5478

      [37] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5478

    richard: include a note to show how content authors could do

    addison: needs resolution?

    needs resolution

    RESOLUTION: move CSS issue 5478 to needs resolution

ltr/rtl/auto definition for manifest spec

    [38]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020S
    ep/0001.html

      [38] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Sep/0001.html

    [39]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020S
    ep/0002.html

      [39] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Sep/0002.html

    richard: talked about this before for Marcos
    ... he pointed to wrong part of bidi
    ... so trying to fix that
    ... maybe coming up with text closer to what is wanted for
    string-meta

    <xfq> [40]https://unicode.org/reports/tr9/#P2

      [40] https://unicode.org/reports/tr9/#P2

    <xfq> [41]https://unicode.org/reports/tr9/#HL1

      [41] https://unicode.org/reports/tr9/#HL1

    <r12a> [42]http://unicode.org/reports/tr9/tr9-11.html#P1

      [42] http://unicode.org/reports/tr9/tr9-11.html#P1

    [43]https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/#The_Paragraph_Level

      [43] https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/#The_Paragraph_Level

    the user agent must *set the base direction* [string-meta]
    using the dir attribute

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: reply to marcos about manifest bidi
    text per teleconference discussion

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-954 - Reply to marcos about manifest
    bidi text per teleconference discussion [on Richard Ishida -
    due 2020-09-10].

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: close old webshare request, link from
    the new one, and clean up radar
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: reply to CSS to schedule TPAC joint
    meeting including a plea for topics in advance
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: send confirmation of our TPAC meetings
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: reply to marcos about manifest bidi text
    per teleconference discussion

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [44]move CSS issue 5478 to needs resolution

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 3 September 2020 15:53:52 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 3 September 2020 15:53:54 UTC