W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2020

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-08-13

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 17:06:00 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <eb508ab5-2110-7968-1408-dd63d6a34150@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2020/08/13-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:


- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

13 Aug 2020

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Aug/0019.html

Attendees

    Present
           JcK, addison, fsasaki, Bert, Felix, Atsushi, Richard,
           Fuqiao

    Regrets

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR Review
          5. [8]Specdev changes
          6. [9]Publish new LTLI WD?
          7. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      * [12]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

Agenda and Minutes

    fuqiao: talk about webxr

Action Items

    [13]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-927?

    <trackbot> action-927 -- Addison Phillips to Work with richard
    on crossover tpac meeting planning and proposal for our tpac
    calls -- due 2020-07-16 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/927

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/927

    close action-927

    <trackbot> Closed action-927.

    [15]https://www.w3.org/wiki/I18N_2020_TPAC

      [15] https://www.w3.org/wiki/I18N_2020_TPAC

    action-929?

    <trackbot> action-929 -- Felix Sasaki to Send uri/iri/url issue
    to wg -- due 2020-07-16 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/929

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/929

    close action-929

    <trackbot> Closed action-929.

    action-931?

    <trackbot> action-931 -- Felix Sasaki to Reply to rdf via our
    i18n-dicuss issue 13 -- due 2020-07-16 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/931

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/931

    close action-931

    <trackbot> Closed action-931.

    action-933?

    <trackbot> action-933 -- Addison Phillips to Send mail to
    chairs@ asking for signups for tpac meetings -- due 2020-07-23
    -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/933

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/933

    close action-933

    <trackbot> Closed action-933.

    action-935?

    <trackbot> action-935 -- Addison Phillips to Read html input
    type=email text and suggest edits -- due 2020-07-23 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/935

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/935

    [20]https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5799/files

      [20] https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5799/files

    close action-935

    <trackbot> Closed action-935.

    action-937?

    <trackbot> action-937 -- Addison Phillips to Follow up on media
    queries about status of hr -- due 2020-08-06 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [21]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/937

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/937

    close action-937

    <trackbot> Closed action-937.

    action-938?

    <trackbot> action-938 -- Addison Phillips to Notify mediastream
    track that we completed a review with no issues -- due
    2020-08-13 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [22]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/938

      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/938

    close action-938

    <trackbot> Closed action-938.

    action-939?

    <trackbot> action-939 -- Richard Ishida to See if we have a
    definition of ltr/rtl/auto somewhere centralized that specs can
    refer to -- due 2020-08-13 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [23]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/939

      [23] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/939

    action-940?

    <trackbot> action-940 -- Addison Phillips to Write proposal for
    error message handling for specdev -- due 2020-08-13 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [24]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/940

      [24] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/940

    close action-940

    <trackbot> Closed action-940.

Info Share

    Atsushi: we published JLReq update as WG Note
    ... requires manual uploading
    ... was published on tuesday

    <xfq_> [25]https://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/

      [25] https://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/

    <r12a> [26]https://www.w3.org/International/

      [26] https://www.w3.org/International/

    richard: did a rejig of homepage

    <r12a>
    [27]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/getting-started/languaged
    ev.en

      [27] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/getting-started/languagedev.en

    richard: did three pages, rewrote basically

    <r12a>
    [28]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/getting-started/specdev.e
    n

      [28] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/getting-started/specdev.en

    <r12a>
    [29]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/getting-started/contentde
    v.en

      [29] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/getting-started/contentdev.en

    <r12a> [30]https://www.w3.org/International/resources

      [30] https://www.w3.org/International/resources

    richard: still need e.g. the sitemap
    ... change styling and such

RADAR Review

    [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    <atsushi>
    [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/128#issuecomment
    -671795004

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/128#issuecomment-671795004

    atsushi: found no issue in screen wake lock

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: notify screen wake lock of review
    complete with no issues

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-941 - Notify screen wake lock of
    review complete with no issues [on Addison Phillips - due
    2020-08-20].

    <fsasaki> [33]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/950

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/950

    felix: document gives guidance for various personas
    ... such as cognitive impairment due to age or autism or such
    ... my comment is that a lot of the guidance in the doc is also
    helpful for people who have no cognitive disabilities
    ... such as a foreigner in a country where you have poor
    language skills
    ... for these people, using short sentences, simple structure,
    etc.
    ... to reach a wider audience, maybe add this persona

    richard: these are all American sounding names

    felix: this is only a first issue

    richard: disabilities -> challenges?

Specdev changes

    [34]https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41

    [35]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/
    cdbf6d5...aphillips:f70b324.html

      [35] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/cdbf6d5...aphillips:f70b324.html

    [36]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/
    cdbf6d5...aphillips:f70b324.html#localization

      [36] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/cdbf6d5...aphillips:f70b324.html#localization

    [37]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/
    cdbf6d5...aphillips:f70b324.html#text_n11n

      [37] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/cdbf6d5...aphillips:f70b324.html#text_n11n

    richard: exclude text that isn't part of the mustard from the
    mustard

    [38]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/aphillips/bp-i18n-specd
    ev/pull/41.html

      [38] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/aphillips/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41.html

    Bert: suitable fallback or default: can we define?

    felix: once LTLI has progressed further, some guidance needs to
    change here

    <xfq> [39]https://github.com/w3c/ltli/issues/16

      [39] https://github.com/w3c/ltli/issues/16

    [40]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/aphillips/bp-i18n-specd
    ev/pull/41.html#text_n11n

      [40] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/aphillips/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41.html#text_n11n

    <r12a>
    [41]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/aphillips/bp-i18n-specd
    ev/pull/41.html#spec_n11n

      [41] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/aphillips/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41.html#spec_n11n

    <r12a> margin: 4em;

    <r12a> font-size: 80%;

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: apply edits discussed in telecon and
    merge the normalization and localization specdev changes

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-942 - Apply edits discussed in
    telecon and merge the normalization and localization specdev
    changes [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-08-20].

Publish new LTLI WD?

    [42]https://w3c.github.io/ltli/

      [42] https://w3c.github.io/ltli/

    [43]https://www.w3.org/TR/ltli/

      [43] https://www.w3.org/TR/ltli/

    <xfq> [44]https://www.w3.org/TR/ltli/

      [44] https://www.w3.org/TR/ltli/

    felix: one aspect I'm not sure about
    ... if you ask someone to implement a validator
    ... straightforward
    ... with new concepts related to locale and guidance for people
    producing/consuming content
    ... I am less aware of how Unicode/CLDR and the Unicode TR
    works technically
    ... if I want to update my validator, maybe this is something
    that doesn't need to be in this document, but what
    ... steps are needed so you can work with a locale identifier
    ... may take time to produce
    ... missing piece of information

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: publish ltli to TR

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-943 - Publish ltli to tr [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2020-08-20].

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: set up LTLI for echidna

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-944 - Set up ltli for echidna [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2020-08-20].

    we'll do a WG review for a couple of weeks and then decide on
    wide review

AOB?

    fuqiao: quick question about ready made counter styles
    ... you added links to repos
    ... current TR is WG note from 3 years ago
    ... not a lot of updates, but have some
    ... republish new version?
    ... clreq asked why this is a separate doc

    richard: probably need to publish an update
    ... don't recall what the changes are specifically
    ... how do we do a review?

    <xfq> [45]https://www.w3.org/TR/predefined-counter-styles/

      [45] https://www.w3.org/TR/predefined-counter-styles/

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: review predefined-counter-styles for
    changes and send info to group so we can take a publication
    decision

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-945 - Review
    predefined-counter-styles for changes and send info to group so
    we can take a publication decision [on Richard Ishida - due
    2020-08-20].

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: apply edits discussed in telecon and
    merge the normalization and localization specdev changes
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: notify screen wake lock of review
    complete with no issues
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: publish ltli to TR
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: review predefined-counter-styles for
    changes and send info to group so we can take a publication
    decision
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: set up LTLI for echidna

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 13 August 2020 16:06:06 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 13 August 2020 16:06:09 UTC