[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-02-27


text extract follows:


            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

27 Feb 2020




           addison, atsushi, xfq, fsasaki, Bert, richard, JcK


           Addison Phillips

           addison, Bert


      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [8]close WCAG issues?
          6. [9]pending tracker issues
          7. [10]String-Meta Review
          8. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <addison> scribenick: addison

    <agendabot> clear agenda

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items


      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-856 -- Richard Ishida to Check the time
    planner in the meeting page to ensure it is correct for 2020 --
    due 2020-02-27 -- OPEN


      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/856


    <trackbot> action-857 -- Fuqiao Xue to File a bug against
    safari regarding quotes and line-breaking in chinese -- due
    2020-02-27 -- OPEN


      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/857

    xfq: was trying to file bug, but safari working as expected
    ... so didn't file

    <xfq> [17]https://github.com/w3c/clreq/issues/245

      [17] https://github.com/w3c/clreq/issues/245

    xfq: can comment on above github issue

    richard: will check again

    close action-857

    <trackbot> Closed action-857.


    <trackbot> action-858 -- Addison Phillips to Remind wg to
    review string-meta and make comments -- due 2020-02-27 -- OPEN


      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/858

    close action-858

    <trackbot> Closed action-858.

Info Share

    welcome back felix!


lang="ja">日</rb><rt>に</rt><rb lang="ja">本</rb><rt>ほん</rt><rb 

    richard: new interactive test page
    ... and a test results page somewhere



    richard: did also update the tests for the i18n test suite

    <r12a> [21]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-tests/results/css-ruby

      [21] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-tests/results/css-ruby

    richard: added a few extra tests, particularly for chinese
    ... used to test japanese and chinese at same time
    ... now the tests are separate
    ... on above page if you mouse over *
    ... you'll see the notes
    ... in the tooltip

    xfq: previously I saw under chinese a small title called
    "selection", what is that?

    richard: probably a mistake, forgot to change. thanks for
    pointing out

RADAR and Active Work Review


      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    <JcK> yes here too

close WCAG issues?



    <Bert> scribenick: Bert

    r12a: WCAG issues need to be handled quickly, because their
    repo is read-only now. Best if we can just close our issues.

    <addison> [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/523

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/523

    r12a: I think all can indeed be closed. But let's go through
    them quickly.

    addison: What would we do if we are not satisfied with any of

    r12a: Raise them in a new repo, maybe referring to the old

    <addison> [25]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/522

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/522

    addison: This one seemed closed with an OK resolution.
    ... Next one is ^^^
    ... Also seems resolved in our favor.

    <addison> [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/484

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/484

    <addison> [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/480

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/480

    addison: 484 also looks good. Can close.

    r12a: Both Fuqiao and Atsushi agreed to close 480.

    addison: A little hesitant. They studied some languages. Might
    not hold across all languages.

    <addison> [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/478

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/478

    r12a: Seems 480 is good enough. Closing it.
    ... 478 is similar.

    <addison> ACTION: richard: double-check that github picked up
    closing of 5 WCAG i18n issues

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-859 - Double-check that github picked
    up closing of 5 wcag i18n issues [on Richard Ishida - due

    addison: OK, let's close 478.

pending tracker issues



    <r12a> css-fonts

    <r12a> • Don't ignore non-system fonts

    <r12a> [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/796

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/796

    r12a: I still need to read up on privacy, what 796 seems to be
    related to.
    ... Better to postpone this.



    <r12a> vc-data-model

    <r12a> • Example uses a timestamp for what should just be a
    (floating) date value

    <r12a> [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/650

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/650

    <r12a> • Have fields for locale-specific information (names,
    addresses, etc.) been checked?

    <r12a> [33]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/640

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/640

    r12a: ^^^ are a couple of related threads.

    addison: 650 accepted. I will send it.

    <addison> ACTION: addison: submit issue 650 to vc-data-model

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-860 - Submit issue 650 to
    vc-data-model [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-03-05].

    Bert: Small issue, though.

    addison: Yes, editorial.
    ... I will also send 640.

    <r12a> mst-content-hint

    <r12a> • highly detailed text in video content

    <r12a> [34]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/599

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/599

    addison: Label "Needs review" or just "pending"?

    r12a: Who has been reviewing media-related stuff recently?
    ... I'll remove the "needs review" label.

    <addison> (updated my action item to mention additional issues)

    r12a: If issues do no come in via Philippe's system, which puts
    on "pending", we don't need the "pending" label on them.

    addison: Seems reasonable.

    Bert: Not sure I understand what issues this applies to.

    r12a: Original use of pending was if we review a spec and find
    a possible issue.

    <atsushi> +1 for not adding by PLH's system

    r12a: But Philippe's system finds issues for us in other repos
    and creates an issue in ours with "pending" on it.
    ... We already get notified of those, and it can build a long
    list of pending issues.
    ... Atsushi's weekly list of tracker issues can be replaced by
    the automatic digest.
    ... It is generated the day before our telcon.

    <addison> ACTION: addison: add retrieving the weekly digest of
    external issues and reviewing it to the agenda

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-861 - Add retrieving the weekly
    digest of external issues and reviewing it to the agenda [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2020-03-05].

    r12a: Philippe's tool doesn't yet inform us if issues get
    closed by a WG. Hopefully soon.



String-Meta Review

    addison: I didn't see any comments, but hopefully people did
    have time to review it.

    r12a: I started. I'll make some suggestions for editorial
    ... Don't have ideas yet for larger changes.

    addison: I have been doing some stuff internally and the
    document is sometimes useful and sometimes not.
    ... E.g., when to put in direction.

    <r12a> [36]https://w3c.github.io/string-meta/

      [36] https://w3c.github.io/string-meta/


Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: add retrieving the weekly digest of
    external issues and reviewing it to the agenda
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: submit issue 650 to vc-data-model
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: double-check that github picked up
    closing of 5 WCAG i18n issues

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 27 February 2020 15:59:53 UTC