W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2020

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-06-04

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 16:59:03 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <c276d583-69a4-a234-ff18-a5b0d0eeffb7@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2020/06/04-i18n-minutes.html






text version follows:


- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

04 Jun 2020

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Jun/0000.html

Attendees

    Present
           JcK, addison, Richard, Bert, atsushi, fsasaki, fuqiao

    Regrets

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR Review
          5. [8]Next steps for simple ruby
          6. [9]Line breaking should fallback to UAX14 in absence
             of other rules #5068
          7. [10]Specdev Health Warning
          8. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

    <scribe> scribenick: addison

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-901?

    <trackbot> action-901 -- Richard Ishida to Raise issue 91
    against css-text if that's appropriate -- due 2020-05-14 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/901

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/901

    richard: it's appropriate

    <r12a> [16]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5068

      [16] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5068

    close action-901

    <trackbot> Closed action-901.

    richard: have response. thinks it's appropriate, think we can
    close

    action-914?

    <trackbot> action-914 -- Fuqiao Xue to Publish current version
    of specdev to tr -- due 2020-06-04 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/914

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/914

    close action-914

    <trackbot> Closed action-914.

    action-915?

    <trackbot> action-915 -- Addison Phillips to Update
    bp-i18n-specdev pr41 for further consideration next week -- due
    2020-06-04 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/915

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/915

    close action-915

    <trackbot> Closed action-915.

Info Share

RADAR Review

    [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    [20]https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/

      [20] https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/

    richard: had an info share

    <r12a> [21]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/featurelist/

      [21] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/featurelist/

    richard: that page significantly rewritten
    ... more languages and more data in it
    ... shows various features that language+script combo has
    ... high level distinctive features
    ... click column at top to order by column

    [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is
    %3Aopen+label%3Apending

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:pending

Next steps for simple ruby

    <r12a> [23]https://w3c.github.io/simple-ruby/

      [23] https://w3c.github.io/simple-ruby/

    richard: getting closer to publishing simple-ruby
    ... would anyone like an explanation?
    ... jlreq is about to be republished in a slightly new format
    ... some things are missing from jlreq
    ... there are too many things in some cases

    <xfq_> [24]http://w3c.github.io/jlreq/

      [24] http://w3c.github.io/jlreq/

    richard: ruby has many potential ways of doing thing
    ... advanced features or too much for the web
    ... or equally valid but which to choose?
    ... idea frompub lab was "here's a low level baseline"
    ... here are alteratnives available, good for interop
    ... was distilled into this document
    ... not long
    ... started to make some noise about it, but now they are happy
    for us to proceed to fpwd
    ... issue call for wide review
    ... to be published as note
    ... is the working group happy to issue fpwd?

    <Bert> +1

    +1

    <xfq_> +1

    <fsasaki> +1

    <r12a> +1

    <atsushi> +1

    RESOLUTION: publish simple-ruby as fpwd

    richard: WG okay with call for wide review?
    ... want to keep wide review short
    ... set a 1 week review period
    ... target note resolution on 18th

    atsushi: reference to jlreq is pending

    richard: can publish fpwd any time, work in parallel on issues
    ... should also work on jlreq

    addison: when bring that forward?
    ... what versioning? wg review?

Line breaking should fallback to UAX14 in absence of other rules
#5068

    <r12a> [25]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5068

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5068

    richard: this is the old chestnut
    ... in css we provide suggestions about japanese and chinese in
    a tailored way\
    ... what happens if you don't have tailoring? use uax14?
    ... and there are certain things out there and tests that show
    lack of basic impl
    ... we raised in github and florian responded
    ... now have clause in css and css requires unicode conformance
    ... and that means uax14 is in the mix
    ... uax14 provides baseline with further tailoring expectations

    addison: so they'll add that edit?

    richard: think so

    addison: sounds like we're good with it

    <xfq> +1 to florian's suggestion

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: reply to issue css 5068 on behalf of
    i18n saying we're satisified with the edit proposed

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-917 - Reply to issue css 5068 on
    behalf of i18n saying we're satisified with the edit proposed
    [on Richard Ishida - due 2020-06-11].

Specdev Health Warning

    [26]https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41

    [27]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/
    cdbf6d5...aphillips:bef2364.html

      [27] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/cdbf6d5...aphillips:bef2364.html

    [28]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/
    cdbf6d5...aphillips:bef2364.html#text_n11n

      [28] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/cdbf6d5...aphillips:bef2364.html#text_n11n

    Specifications SHOULD include an appropriate note or warning
    about normalization

    also: such things are -> such things as

AOB?

    MUSTard

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: richard: reply to issue css 5068 on behalf of
    i18n saying we're satisified with the edit proposed

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [29]publish simple-ruby as fpwd

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 4 June 2020 15:59:08 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 4 June 2020 15:59:09 UTC