W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2020

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-05-28

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 16:11:37 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <02256d68-3ad2-15e6-b6eb-4df69049b919@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2020/05/28-i18n-minutes.html






text version follows:


- DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

28 May 2020

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020May/0014.html

Attendees

    Present
           addison, Fuqiao, fsasaki, Atsushi, Bert, Richard

    Regrets
           JcK

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR Review
          5. [8]Add note for text opacity applied to cursive
             scripts
          6. [9]Specdev Health Warning
          7. [10]Publishing docs on TR
          8. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

    <scribe> scribenick: addison

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-901?

    <trackbot> action-901 -- Richard Ishida to Raise issue 91
    against css-text if that's appropriate -- due 2020-05-14 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/901

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/901

    action-912?

    <trackbot> action-912 -- Richard Ishida to Review all repos to
    see if we need to publish fpwd or updates -- due 2020-05-28 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/912

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/912

    close action-912

    <trackbot> Closed action-912.

    richard: may need to update a couple like specdev

    <atsushi> same here

    richard: working on publishing docs, could publish specdev too
    ... xfq are you familiar with echidna

    xfq: not really

    richard: here's your chance!

    <scribe> ACTION: xfq: publish current version of specdev to TR

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-914 - Publish current version of
    specdev to tr [on Fuqiao Xue - due 2020-06-04].

    action-913?

    <trackbot> action-913 -- Addison Phillips to Update hr request
    github issue for html snapshot -- due 2020-05-28 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/913

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/913

    close action-913

    <trackbot> Closed action-913.

Info Share

    [18]https://github.com/w3c/htmlwg/issues/8#issue-597865240

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/htmlwg/issues/8#issue-597865240

    richard: published some updates to language typo index

RADAR Review

    [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    <fsasaki> fsasaki

Add note for text opacity applied to cursive scripts

    <xfq> [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/910

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/910

    xfq: the css color spec has a section on transparency
    ... property to add transparent color
    ... in some scripts, cursive scripts
    ... there may be issues that the joinings of the letters and
    overlap can be exposed
    ... add text to guide implementations on this

    <xfq> [21]https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/42

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/42

    <atsushi> +1

    richard: sounds good

    <r12a> +1

    +1

    <Bert> +1

    <fsasaki> +1

Specdev Health Warning

    [22]https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41

    [23]https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41/files

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41/files

    [24]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/aphillips/bp-i18n-specd
    ev/pull/41.html

      [24] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/aphillips/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/41.html

    [25]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/
    8dabe5e...aphillips:2ae8593.html#text_n11n

      [25] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/41/8dabe5e...aphillips:2ae8593.html#text_n11n

    Bert: is it a "health" warning? Just a warning...

    richard: couple of typos and a capital S on specification
    ... make into a figure? looks like a note on the spec

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: update bp-i18n-specdev PR41 for
    further consideration next week

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-915 - Update bp-i18n-specdev pr41 for
    further consideration next week [on Addison Phillips - due
    2020-06-04].

Publishing docs on TR

    <r12a>
    [26]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020M
    ay/0013.html

      [26] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020May/0013.html

    richard: went through language enablement stuff
    ... long list of documents
    ... only on github
    ... shorter list of docs in TR but not up to date
    ... working on getting docs copied to TR space
    ... asking people working with docs to keep the two in sync
    ... need to check with TFs if they're okay
    ... got approval from Kita-san on jlreq
    ... and Daniel on ethiopic
    ... waiting on chinese and arabic
    ... and indic
    ... bunch of these docs don't have a group
    ... willing to publish as long as you lot approve

    <r12a> Arabic & Persian Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [27]https://w3c.github.io/alreq/gap-analysis/

      [27] https://w3c.github.io/alreq/gap-analysis/

    <r12a> Chinese Layout Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [28]https://w3c.github.io/clreq/gap-analysis/

      [28] https://w3c.github.io/clreq/gap-analysis/

    <r12a> Ethiopic Layout Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [29]https://w3c.github.io/elreq/gap-analysis/

      [29] https://w3c.github.io/elreq/gap-analysis/

    <r12a> Dutch Gap Analysis

    <r12a>
    [30]https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/latn-nl-gap

      [30] https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/latn-nl-gap

    <r12a> Georgian Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [31]https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/geor-gap

      [31] https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/geor-gap

    <r12a> Modern Greek Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [32]https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/grek-gap

      [32] https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/grek-gap

    <r12a> Hungarian Gap Analysis

    <r12a>
    [33]https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/latn-hu-gap

      [33] https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/latn-hu-gap

    <r12a> Modern Greek Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [34]https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/grek-gap

      [34] https://w3c.github.io/eurlreq/gap-analysis/grek-gap

    <r12a> Bengali Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [35]https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/beng-gap.html

      [35] https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/beng-gap.html

    <r12a> Devanagari Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [36]https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/deva-gap.html

      [36] https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/deva-gap.html

    <r12a> Gurmukhi Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [37]https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/guru-gap.html

      [37] https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/guru-gap.html

    <r12a> Gujarati Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [38]https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/gujr-gap.html

      [38] https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/gujr-gap.html

    <r12a> Tamil Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [39]https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/taml-gap.html

      [39] https://w3c.github.io/iip/gap-analysis/taml-gap.html

    <r12a> Tamil Layout Requirements

    <r12a> [40]https://w3c.github.io/iip/tamil/

      [40] https://w3c.github.io/iip/tamil/

    <r12a> Japanese Gap Analysis

    <r12a> [41]https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/gap-analysis/

      [41] https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/gap-analysis/

    <r12a> Mongolian Layout Requirements

    <r12a> [42]https://w3c.github.io/mlreq/

      [42] https://w3c.github.io/mlreq/

    <r12a> *Inuktitut & Cree Gap Analysis

    <r12a>
    [43]https://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/docs/cans-iu-
    cr-gap/

      [43] https://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/docs/cans-iu-cr-gap/

    <r12a> *Cherokee Gap Analysis

    <r12a>
    [44]https://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/docs/cher

      [44] https://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/docs/cher

    <r12a> Lao Gap Analysis

    <r12a>
    [45]https://w3c.github.io/sealreq/gap-analysis/laoo-gap.html

      [45] https://w3c.github.io/sealreq/gap-analysis/laoo-gap.html

    <r12a> Khmer Gap Analysis

    <r12a>
    [46]https://w3c.github.io/sealreq/gap-analysis/khmr-gap.html

      [46] https://w3c.github.io/sealreq/gap-analysis/khmr-gap.html

    <r12a> Javanese Script Gap Analysis

    <r12a>
    [47]https://w3c.github.io/sealreq/gap-analysis/java-gap.html

      [47] https://w3c.github.io/sealreq/gap-analysis/java-gap.html

    <r12a> Requirements for Tibetan Text Layout and Typography

    <r12a> [48]https://w3c.github.io/tlreq/

      [48] https://w3c.github.io/tlreq/

    <r12a> that the list for FPWD

    <r12a> [49]https://www.w3.org/International/layout

      [49] https://www.w3.org/International/layout

    richard: three things
    ... normally fpwd we have an announcement
    ... not sure I want to announce

    addison: why not a block announcment?

    richard: want to publish at same time
    ... change links in typography index to point to TR
    ... second thing, new group for those with *
    ... Languages of the Americas

    <r12a> [50]https://github.com/w3c/amlreq

      [50] https://github.com/w3c/amlreq

    richard: moved asterisked docs there
    ... more stability to move to TR
    ... have good coverage: Europe, SEA, Africa, and Americas
    ... don't have one for Australasia/Oceania
    ... third thing, gap analysis docs are edited in github issues
    ... content sucked in when you open doc
    ... wondered how to publish
    ... should they be empty shells and suck in content live or
    should they be flat files
    ... pros/cons to either
    ... publishing via echidna, which flattens automagically
    ... so that forces our hand, but in a good way, since the
    content is no longer on GH but stored on W3C server - this
    means, however, that we need to update using echidna much more
    often

    addison: regular updates?

    richard: need to use echidna much more than we do
    ... think we should make significant change
    ... ones in last few days were tricky
    ... hoping we will get to the point where valid docs should go
    smoothly
    ... making instructions
    ... make available
    ... if we point to language enablement, point to TR location,
    so we need to update regularly

    atsushi: suppose we are better, using custom script to publish
    ... japan gap analysis doesn't remove before compiling HTML
    ... don't know behavior
    ... better to remove

    richard: yes, was thnking that
    ... mechanism when data is imported
    ... but thing at bottom that does import, wondering how to
    remove
    ... class=remove?

    atsushi: translate me style, class remove was effective

    richard: stress to jltf FPWD doesn't have to be a good looking
    document, just a draft
    ... simple ruby would be good to move on
    ... kita-san said okay go ahead

    <Zakim> Bert, you wanted to ask if issues can be opened for
    languages that do not have a gap analysis document yet.

    Bert: if for example find an issue in e.g. French, can I just
    open an issue for French? how does that work?

    richard: process is for stuff for which we have docs
    ... point is that you can raise an issue on anything, go to
    eulreq and raise there, each language

    <atsushi> (Cracked voice for me,, only me??)

    addison: grab bag lreq?

    please vote on whether to publish all LREQ documents as FPWD

    <atsushi> +1

    <xfq_> +1

    <Bert> +1

    <fsasaki> +1

    +1

    <r12a> +1

    RESOLUTION: publish LREQ documents listed in minutes of
    2020-05-28 as FPWD

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish LREQ documents to TR as FPWD

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-916 - Publish lreq documents to tr as
    fpwd [on Richard Ishida - due 2020-06-04].

    richard: need to understand how we'll publish JLREQ
    ... not including in current batch
    ... will it be a v2? or what?

    atsushi: not sure we know how we'll call it
    ... no good word yet

    richard: have a word with PLH to see what he recommends
    ... we used "edition" instead of "version" so far

    atsushi: will contact PLH

AOB?

    xfq: do I need to wait to publish specdev?

    addison: no

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: update bp-i18n-specdev PR41 for further
    consideration next week
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish LREQ documents to TR as FPWD
    [NEW] ACTION: xfq: publish current version of specdev to TR

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [51]publish LREQ documents listed in minutes of 2020-05-28
        as FPWD

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 28 May 2020 15:11:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 28 May 2020 15:11:49 UTC