W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2020

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-04-30

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 13:53:04 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <b78877bc-075c-8bfb-55cb-3c7bf4562f01@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2020/04/30-i18n-minutes.html






text extract follows:



  - DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

30 Apr 2020

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Apr/0016.html

Attendees

    Present
           addison, fuqiao, atsushi, fsasaki, JcK, richard, Bert,
           (on, phone)

    Regrets

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda and Minutes
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR Review
          5. [8]CSS Text
          6. [9]Issues Resolution
          7. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      * [12]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

    <scribe> scribenick: addison

    <JcK> Another call running over - should be able to join you in
    about 15-20 minutes

    <atsushi> try to join (will join shortly...

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items

    [13]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-868?

    <trackbot> action-868 -- Richard Ishida to Think about how to
    track bugs reported against products such as browsers -- due
    2020-03-19 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/868

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/868

    <r12a> [15]https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208712

      [15] https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208712

    richard: was this the source of this action?

    addison: yes

    <r12a> [16]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/#

      [16] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/

    richard: in the layout tracker there is a cateogory "browser
    type bug"
    ... have a way of tracking bugs under language enablement

    addison: will we look there regularly to review

    richard: have a mechanism already and kind of makes sense
    logically
    ... easier to do this way
    ... only track clreq issues in clreq
    ... have to look at 14 others to see all

    xfq: if in hebrew and arabic then that's two places

    richard: here you get one item to track

    addison: so we'll track browser bugs against textlayout?

    <r12a> [17]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/#

      [17] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/

    richard: see there's a link on the right side?

    close action-868

    <trackbot> Closed action-868.

    action-892?

    <trackbot> action-892 -- Richard Ishida to Reply to issue 473
    (css issue 1789) as part of closing -- due 2020-04-23 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/892

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/892

    action-894?

    <trackbot> action-894 -- Fuqiao Xue to Request a slot in time
    slot a of css virtual f2f for discussing generic font families
    -- due 2020-04-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/894

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/894

    close action-894

    <trackbot> Closed action-894.

Info Share

    richard: there was a css meeting and they talked about generic
    font fallback
    ... we shared some background but no real conclusion
    ... don't know if you saw my contrib to thread

    <xfq>
    [20]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4910#issuecommen
    t-619342561

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4910#issuecomment-619342561

    richard: link is my contrib to thread
    ... says basically "there's serif/sans but in these other
    scripts things you want to fall back to if you could"
    ... distinguishes types of content
    ... examples from several scripts
    ... kida said can't figure out which fonts to say and often
    want to say like 'rounded' and leave as that
    ... encourage generics

    addison: saw thread comparing to counter-styles

    richard: had offline discuss with fantasai
    ... her point of view; situation where use diff font for
    emphasis
    ... as opposed to say italics
    ... could lose
    ... if writing in kashmiri want to fall back to nastaliq rather
    than naskh
    ... she claimed could use language
    ... but I was worried it would not be well identified enough
    ... or might need more specificity (cites examples)
    ... have to think
    ... generic fonts are important but she thought lanuage tagging
    deal with identity
    ... to much onus on author?

    addison: looking for style variation in a language

    richard: hausa example
    ... browsers have to make lists of languages?
    ... myles suggested that any generic must have two fonts on a
    system and be on two browsers
    ... might limit long tail
    ... give users ability to choose font to fall back to

    addison: happens now, sans doesn't say "oh this must be
    helvetica"

    richard: want to limit generics or have registry on
    well-controlled basis

    (addison and richard discuss further and scribe doesn't speak
    and type well)

    addison: what do we do from here? think we have an interest in
    non-western writing traditions

    richard: read thread; they have minutes in that thread
    ... continue discussion, may put another comment

RADAR Review

    [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    webshare

    richard: already raised issue might be forgotten?

    <r12a> [22]https://github.com/w3c/web-share/issues/6

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/web-share/issues/6

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: update web-share issue 6 pointing to
    string meta

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-896 - Update web-share issue 6
    pointing to string meta [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-05-07].

    UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: needs needs-resolution label

    richard: fantasai wrote to winter list saying hope to wrap up
    css-text for cr soon
    ... I sent a note back asking her to use the tool
    ... need to start reviewing css-text list of issues, quite long
    if I recall
    ... must be 30-40 needs-resolution

    <r12a>
    [23]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/#css-text

      [23] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/#css-text

    <scribe> ACTION: xfq: review open css-text issues

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-897 - Review open css-text issues [on
    Fuqiao Xue - due 2020-05-07].

CSS Text

    <r12a> [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/896

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/896

    richard: authors can tag content... (reads text)
    ... recommend document internal tags, even if doc supplies one
    ... raised issues with using http headers

    lgtm

Issues Resolution

    [25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020M
    ar/0005.html

      [25] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2020Mar/0005.html

    [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/307

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/307

    [27]https://github.com/w3c/uievents/issues/120

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/uievents/issues/120

    atsushi: they are waiting on our comment

    richard: asmus is not part of their wg, they haven't responded

    addison: nudge this issue?

    <r12a> ACTION: r12a to nudge this issue
    [28]https://github.com/w3c/uievents/issues/120

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/uievents/issues/120

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-898 - Nudge this issue
    [29]https://github.com/w3c/uievents/issues/120 [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2020-05-07].

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/uievents/issues/120

    [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/474

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/474

    [31]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1790

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1790

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: review css 1790 and decide if some
    action is still wanted/needed

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-899 - Review css 1790 and decide if
    some action is still wanted/needed [on Richard Ishida - due
    2020-05-07].

    [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/349

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/349

    [33]https://github.com/w3c/input-events/issues/71

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/input-events/issues/71

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: follow up on input-events 71 and see
    if further action is needed

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-900 - Follow up on input-events 71
    and see if further action is needed [on Richard Ishida - due
    2020-05-07].

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: update web-share issue 6 pointing to
    string meta
    [NEW] ACTION: r12a to nudge this issue
    https://github.com/w3c/uievents/issues/120
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: follow up on input-events 71 and see if
    further action is needed
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: review css 1790 and decide if some
    action is still wanted/needed
    [NEW] ACTION: xfq: review open css-text issues

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Saturday, 2 May 2020 12:53:10 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Saturday, 2 May 2020 12:53:11 UTC