[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2019-04-18


text extract follows:

  - DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

18 Apr 2019




           r12a, atsushi, addison, Jeff_, xfq, kaz, JcK, Matthias,


           Addison Phillips



      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]WoT reviews
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]Retiring Charmod-Resid
          5. [8]AOB?
      * [9]Summary of Action Items
      * [10]Summary of Resolutions

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

    <scribe> Scribenick: addison

WoT reviews


      [11] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    (addison introduces)

    <kaz> [12]kaz's write up


    kaz: our main purpose is first doc, WoT Thing Description
    ... other is kind of basic concepts
    ... our schedule, we'd like to bring to CR at end of the month
    ... already has some i18n features
    ... like to know if this is okay

    richard: doc I'm looking at is not in a w3c repo
    ... would prefer if it were in w3c repo before we review

    kaz: updating the draft daily, but generated fixed version
    using branch
    ... if needed, I can copy the fixed HTML to the www.w3.org

    <mkovatsc_> W3C repo:

      [13] https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/

    mathias: our doc is on github

    sebastian: would having a meeting to guide you helpful?

    richard: if you can review our checklist, that will help you
    guide us
    ... think it is a good idea for you to look through and
    identify things important for us to review
    ... we will likely look other places too, but it will still
    ... points to more detailed checklist also

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/shortchecklist.html

    <inserted> [15]detailed checklist

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs

    richard: if you go through and see if there are things to pay
    attention to while doing review
    ... we have to understand your document in just a few days

    addison: anything you want to call attention to?

    mathias: we will send you links to paths of doc
    ... and double check guidelines

    <kaz> s/matthias:/sebastian:/

    richard: can you give a brief overview of docs?

    sebastian: easiest way to explain is
    ... everyone knows html
    ... thing description is for devices
    ... index html for things
    ... describe capabilities of things
    ... properties, action events
    ... data expected
    ... protocol, such as http or some other iot protocol
    ... RDF based



    Sebastian: what is the action about, title and description

    <r12a> [17]https://w3c.github.io/string-meta/

      [17] https://w3c.github.io/string-meta/

    Sebastian: multiple language support

    r12a: is there some kind of markup involved? how is information

    sebastian: thing description can be stored in different ways

    matthias: json based interchange format
    ... aligned with JSON-LD
    ... so JSON 1.1 could be used
    ... model for json structure so can be machine read
    ... have a few human-readable fields

    richard: put a link to string-meta, should read carefully
    ... anticipating comments, since we have identified problems
    with RDF and LD
    ... involving base direction

    Matthias: not a format for display

    kaz: have discussion with ld group, including Ivan Herman
    ... model describes device properties and how to control using
    actions and events
    ... concentrating on how to deal with devices properties
    ... will look into detailed checklist

    addison: only one telecon before end of month

    r12a: would like to understand why you didn't come forward
    ... were you unaware?

    matthias: didn't understand process

    richard: need to find way to understand process earlier on
    ... also maybe having an i18n champion in WG

    kaz: first of all, very sorry as the team contact that we
    couldn't bring this earlier. there were important technical
    ... took longer than we expect

    addison: used to reviewing very raw specs

    matthias: reached out in tpac
    ... something fell between lines
    ... good if some kind of early registration mechanism

    richard: would having a champion in your WG be helpful?

    <kaz> kaz: as part of the w3c project team as well as the team
    contact for wot, yes, i agree

Action Items


      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-764 -- Addison Phillips to Check if unicode
    describes backwards deletion clearly and develop doc if not --
    due 2018-10-30 -- OPEN


      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/764

    addison: PR?


    <trackbot> action-774 -- Richard Ishida to Publish first public
    working draft of string-meta -- due 2019-02-07 -- OPEN


      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/774

    close action-774

    <trackbot> Closed action-774.


    <trackbot> action-795 -- Addison Phillips to Send issue 521 to
    css -- due 2019-04-11 -- OPEN


      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/795

    close action-795

    <trackbot> Closed action-795.


    <trackbot> action-797 -- Atsushi Shimono to Start writing
    weekly summary of new/tracked issues -- due 2019-04-18 -- OPEN


      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/797

    atsushi: including one line of description

    richard: including 2 in chinese, one at bottom

    atsushi: included some from lreqs

    richard: only include if questions


    <trackbot> action-798 -- Addison Phillips to Make new
    autocapitalization issue against html based on today's
    discussion -- due 2019-04-18 -- OPEN


      [23] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/798

    close action-798

    <trackbot> Closed action-798.

Info Share

    regrets next week from addison

    richard: LTR/RTL doc being reworked
    ... have a look at new version



Retiring Charmod-Resid


      [25] https://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-charmod-resid-20041122/

    proposed: retire charmod-resid; convert to WD and then convert
    to Note and retire it

    jck: choice is either "please don't read this" or do lots of

    please vote on retiring charmod-resid

    <r12a> +1


    <xfq> +1

    <Jeff_> +1

    <JcK> +1

    <atsushi> +1

    <Bert> +1

    RESOLUTION: retire charmod-resid (withdraw from CR, convert to
    WD, and publish as retired Note)


    next week's telecon canceled

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [26]retire charmod-resid (withdraw from CR, convert to WD,
        and publish as retired Note)

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 18 April 2019 15:57:41 UTC