[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-11-16


text version follows:

                                - DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

16 Nov 2017




           addison, r12a, David, Steve, Bert


           Addison Phillips



      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Agenda
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]Radar
          5. [8]What time is this meeting at?
          6. [9]What we saw at TPAC 2017
          7. [10]Promoting Charmod-Norm
          8. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <scribe> ScribeNick: addison


Action Items


      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-664 -- Addison Phillips to Produce updated
    string-meta with additional text needed for fpwd by 2 weeks --
    due 2017-10-19 -- OPEN


      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/664

    close action-664

    <trackbot> Closed action-664.


    <trackbot> action-673 -- Bert Bos to Forward remaining
    low-vision-needs comments -- due 2017-11-02 -- OPEN


      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/673

    bert: did yesterday

    richard: how many?

    bert: 4 I believe

    richard: is there i18n-comment on that repo?

    bert: I used it

    close action-673

    <trackbot> Closed action-673.

    <scribe> ACTION: richard to check low-vision-needs comments are
    notifying properly

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-683 - Check low-vision-needs comments
    are notifying properly [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-11-23].


    <trackbot> action-674 -- Addison Phillips to Respond to
    observer requests and in particular folks who'd like to
    schedule tpac time -- due 2017-11-09 -- OPEN


      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/674

    close action-674

    <trackbot> Closed action-674.


    <trackbot> action-675 -- Addison Phillips to Create agenda in
    wiki for tpac -- due 2017-11-09 -- OPEN


      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/675

    close action-675

    <trackbot> Closed action-675.


    <trackbot> action-676 -- Addison Phillips to Contact plh about
    moving encoding to rec -- due 2017-11-09 -- OPEN


      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/676

    close action-676

    <trackbot> Closed action-676.


    <trackbot> action-677 -- Addison Phillips to Invite angel et al
    to propose a time to talk about clreq progress and gap analysis
    -- due 2017-11-09 -- OPEN


      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/677

    close action-677

    <trackbot> Closed action-677.

Info Share



      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    device and sensors

    richard: looked at all
    ... didn't see issues

    addison: looked at one

    <r12a> [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/500

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/500

    richard: fantasai would like text decoration
    ... complicated because threads are long

    <scribe> ACTION: addison to add text-decoration to radar

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-684 - Add text-decoration to radar
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-11-23].

    addison: I'll check up on pubsub


      [23] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: clreq had an editor's call
    ... discussion of creating a mongolian tf
    ... at tpac
    ... updated html techniques



    richard: if you click on that link (that one opens text
    direction section)



    richard: second link opens next level (inline)
    ... c an open as many levels as you want
    ... just have open= and id
    ... ids are listed

    <r12a> ACTION: Richard to add links to ids in HTML authoring
    techniques page

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-685 - Add links to ids in html
    authoring techniques page [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-11-23].

What time is this meeting at?

    <r12a> [26]https://www.w3.org/2017/09/i18n-meeting-info.html

      [26] https://www.w3.org/2017/09/i18n-meeting-info.html

    richard: keep at administrativa there
    ... instead of agenda

What we saw at TPAC 2017

    <scribe> ACTION: addison to update agenda using the link only

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-686 - Update agenda using the link
    only [on Addison Phillips - due 2017-11-23].


      [27] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/2017TPACAgenda


      [28] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/06-i18n-minutes.html


      [29] https://www.w3.org/2017/11/07-i18n-minutes.html


    our /upcoming points to a WD that points to WHATWG, and /ed
    points directly to WhatWG doc

    richard: PLH pointed out that encoding has 900000 tests in AC



    agreed to send for wide review

    richard: main thing is I took out css shim
    ... because ff and chrome support dir isolation
    ... spoke to safari implementors
    ... they have a switch to turn on
    ... spoke with edge developers as well
    ... list of bugs to upvote on edge

    <scribe> ACTION: richard to send list of edge bugs to upvote

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-687 - Send list of edge bugs to
    upvote [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-11-23].

    richard: ralph swick made a presentation about i18n at ac
    ... talking about i18n sponsorship program
    ... that's a program to find sponsors to expand resources
    available to i18n
    ... make proposals in a task force
    ... some projects related to ed and outreach
    ... dev support
    ... language enablement
    ... which is language matrix we talked about, filling it in
    ... so preso put before AC asking for support
    ... wanted sponsorship not used for core but as addition


    richard: setting up a TF for mongolian
    ... also talked about tibetan
    ... needs a review
    ... on plenary day
    ... gave talk about language enablement stuff (matrix)



    richard: posted minutes for breakout
    ... thursday I met with ttml
    ... looked at imsc issues and ttml2 issues
    ... lot of progress
    ... the "withBase" value of rubyAlign is now at risk
    ... a feature in ruby layout, if same number ruby as base, then
    stick one above the other
    ... which is very rare
    ... reason there, lambda cap did that, but netflix was there
    and wanted to do centering as default. more sensible
    ... put at risk
    ... of course there's an impl, but hope it goes away
    ... solved other issues


    richard: input type=email
    ... wanted to make possible to put non-ascii on left hand side
    of emails
    ... some talk of getting rid of that type
    ... didn't seem to happen
    ... HTML WG agreed to add non-ascii on lhs

    (the local part of the email address)

    scribe: some work to harmonsize with whatwg

    dpub summit

    richard: no i18n there, but interesting

Promoting Charmod-Norm


      [32] http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/


      [33] http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/#matchingAlgorithm


      [34] http://aphillips.github.io/charmod-norm/


    no call next week

    everyone read charmod and string meta

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison to add text-decoration to radar
    [NEW] ACTION: addison to update agenda using the link only
    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to add links to ids in HTML authoring
    techniques page
    [NEW] ACTION: richard to check low-vision-needs comments are
    notifying properly
    [NEW] ACTION: richard to send list of edge bugs to upvote

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 16 November 2017 17:30:51 UTC