Re: Does the html attribute "lang" implies the use of a specific script in the font?

Hello Philippe,

It seems that your message somehow got caught in the moderator queue.

On 2017/11/06 16:24, Philippe Cochy wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Does the html attribute "lang" implies the unicode script in the font?

No.

> i.e.
> Does lang="ja" => script="hani" and lang="JAN"?

No. Japanese can be written in Latin script, for example, even if this
is not done very often.

> Does lang="fr" =>
> script="latn" and lang="FRA"?
>
> The (x)html attribute "lang" assign a language to an element. There is
> no attribute "script" in (x)html.

That's on purpose. There is no need for such an attribute, because for
each character, it's clear which script it belongs to.

Something like
would be contradictory, and something like
would be redundant.

> In Unicode, languages are subsets of the scripts.

No. The relation between languages and scripts is more complex.

> Somes glyphs does not
> belong to a script (i.e. default script).
> In a font, script is the root of the use of language in tables. A
> language can be assigned to any script, including obviously to the
> default script. So for example the french language can be assign to
> latin but also to default or hiranga script.
> My english is very weak. Please consult (and participate to)
> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=3D779374
> to clarify this question.

The correct link is
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=779374