W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2017

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-10-05

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:43:32 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <a6613f15-49ef-2eec-269a-67d89fa4e731@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html





text extract follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

05 Oct 2017

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           JcK, r12a, david, andrew, Bert

    Regrets
    Chair
           SV_MEETING_CHAIR

    Scribe
           r12a

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Action Items
          2. [5]Info Share
          3. [6]UTR 53 Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm
          4. [7]Issue triage
          5. [8]Radars
      * [9]Summary of Action Items
      * [10]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    joining information is here
    [11]https://www.w3.org/2017/09/i18n-meeting-info.html

      [11] https://www.w3.org/2017/09/i18n-meeting-info.html

    previous minutes:
    [12]https://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html

      [12] https://www.w3.org/2017/09/28-i18n-minutes.html

    visually KA+VIRAMA+SHA = KA+ZWJ+AA

Action Items

    [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close action-656

    <trackbot> Closed action-656.

    was "Notify websub we are satisfied with 124"

    De-pend all the css-text-decor issues

    close action-659

    <trackbot> Closed action-659.

Info Share

    none

UTR 53 Unicode Arabic Mark Ordering Algorithm

    [14]http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr53/

      [14] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr53/

    [15]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is
    %3Aopen+label%3Autr53

      [15] 
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:utr53

    [16]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/492#issuecommen
    t-334101665

      [16] 
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/492#issuecomment-334101665



    I'm beginning to suspect that the algorithm described is
    intended to just indicate how characters should be temporarily
    reordered prior to rendering, rather than describe the order in
    which code points should be stored. Since most fonts generally
    produce the behaviour described anyway, it would therefore
    amount to documenting expectations in terms of font behaviour,
    rather than specifying a new form of normalisation.

    It's not at all clear from the document whether that is the
    case, however, so i think that has to be our first question,
    and perhaps we need to await an answer to that before sending
    in many of the other comments.

    ]]

    JcK: I believe i concur
    ... it may describe new problems wrt confusables
    ... may be worth saying that if we correctly understood this,
    the document needs to be updated to make it clear

    <scribe> ACTION: Richard to raise comment against UTR53 asking
    for clarity about what they are trying to do [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-660 - Raise comment against utr53
    asking for clarity about what they are trying to do [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2017-10-12].

    [18]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/490

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/490

    raise this as a personal comment

    RESOLUTION: Richard send comment for which he has action, then
    await response before sending more

Issue triage

    [19]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2017
    OctDec/0002.html

      [19] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2017OctDec/0002.html

    intersection-observer

    • rootMargin may need to be directionally sensitive

    [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488

    <scribe> ACTION: Richard to send
    [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488 to
    Intersection Observer group [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488
      [22] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-661 - Send
    [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488 to
    intersection observer group [on Richard Ishida - due
    2017-10-12].

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488

    [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/410

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/410

    agree to close

    [25]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/334

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/334

    added a note at
    [26]https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/commit/f9e4a418819b8226d0ce5c8
    28befc55042848c9d

      [26] 
https://github.com/w3c/ttml2/commit/f9e4a418819b8226d0ce5c828befc55042848c9d

    agree to close

Radars

    [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    Any reaction for DNT would appreciated by the WG - so they can
    report status.

    even if no review done

    [28]http://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/language-matri
    x.html

      [28] http://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/language-matrix.html

    Meeting adjourned.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to raise comment against UTR53 asking for
    clarity about what they are trying to do [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to send
    https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488 to Intersection
    Observer group [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01
      [30] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [31]Richard send comment for which he has action, then
        await response before sending more

    [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 10 October 2017 14:43:17 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 10 October 2017 14:43:18 UTC