W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2016

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2016-07-21

From: <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:22:29 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <933d44ce-7247-ac43-fadf-ed50f90b99e6@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html




text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

21 Jul 2016

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Jul/0012.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Felix, Richard, Francesco, David

    Regrets
           Steve

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           aphillip

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar
          5. [9]Issue Triage
          6. [10]Proposal to move Ethiopic LREQ to FPWD
          7. [11]Review: Data on the Web Best Practices
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      * [14]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda


Action Items

    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-536?

    <trackbot> action-536 -- Richard Ishida to Publish
    predefined-counter-styles as a wg note -- due 2016-06-30 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/536

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/536

    richard: a couple of weeks yet; may want to get yet another
    title

    action-537?

    <trackbot> action-537 -- Addison Phillips to File bugs against
    failing browsers, referring back to the encoding issue list,
    and update the encoding issues -- due 2016-06-30 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/537

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/537

    addison: done

    close action-537

    <trackbot> Closed action-537.

    action-539?

    <trackbot> action-539 -- Addison Phillips to Write an email
    objecting to lack of i18n review and review coordination and
    pointing out that there are issues that should be addressed --
    due 2016-07-21 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/539

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/539

    close action-539

    <trackbot> Closed action-539.

    action-540?

    <trackbot> action-540 -- Addison Phillips to Forward dwbp issue
    reformulation to richard this afternoon (14 jul) -- due
    2016-07-21 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/540

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/540

    <scribe> done

    close action-540

    <trackbot> Closed action-540.

    richard: let's talk about it later

Info Share

    group welcomes new member Francesco

    francesco: from italy, florence
    ... web communications manager
    ... very interested in w3c, getting involved

    richard: news that we have two other new members

    lina from IBM in Israel

    scribe: interested HLREQ

    barry leiba from Huawei

    they are not on call today

    richard: tpac is approaching

    (please register asap)

    (book hotel and such)

    Sign up for TPAC! [20]https://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/

      [20] https://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/

    richard: firefox has implemented isolate override as default
    for <bdo>

    <r12a>
    [21]https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Releases/50#HTM
    L

      [21] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Releases/50#HTML

Radar

    [22]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/radar/

      [22] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/radar/

    richard: phil submitted a new one
    ... maybe a transreq

    felix: already on the list

    [23]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [23] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    richard: meeting about egyptian hieroglyphs
    ... went there
    ... how it works in unicode
    ... mailing list on it. let me know if you want info
    ... language is very graphic
    ... script combines in two dimentional arrangements
    ... different in vertical and horizontal
    ... lots of complex choices

Issue Triage

    richard: forgot something earlier
    ... project review
    ... have started porting JLReq (Japanese) to github and respec
    ... so that would enable us to produce a new version
    ... incorp errata and feedback
    ... and also to get feedback via an issues list
    ... a lot of work, so will take time

    [24]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [24] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

    presentation-api • i18n-ISSUE-493: add sections (non-I18N)
    [25]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/112

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/112

    micropub • no language or direction or localizability of error
    message? [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/183

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/183

    remove pending?

    find-text • FindText API vs. Charmod-Norm
    [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/106

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/106

    close as obsoltee

    html • Use of modifier keys for accesskey
    [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/159

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/159

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: revise issue 159 about modifier keys
    and make appropriate revisions [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-541 - Revise issue 159 about modifier
    keys and make appropriate revisions [on Richard Ishida - due
    2016-07-28].

    packaging-on-the-web • i18n-ISSUE-404: Lang matching undefined
    [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/60

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/60

    remove pending and forward

    url • i18n-ISSUE-402: Broken copy/paste behavior with IRIs
    [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/58

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/58

    web-payments-use-cases • i18n-ISSUE-476: International payment,
    taxation, delivery and trade restriction practices
    [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/82

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/82

    <scribe> closed as stale

    dpub-latinreq • i18n-ISSUE-390: Extended Latin Characters
    Covered in Text but not in Title
    [33]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/47

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/47

    richard: "... books in languages using the Latin script..."
    (missing script)

    david: English retains accents from sources

    richard: wider point is perhaps valid, not just English or
    ASCII

    [34]http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pagination/

      [34] http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pagination/

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: ask after dpub-pagination status and
    if they want/ready for a review [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [35] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-542 - Ask after dpub-pagination
    status and if they want/ready for a review [on Richard Ishida -
    due 2016-07-28].

    dpub-aria • i18n-ISSUE-480: New role for Ruby?
    [36]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/83

      [36] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/83

    close as stale

Proposal to move Ethiopic LREQ to FPWD

    richard: daniel working on ethiopic document
    ... plans to create a survey to get answers to questions

    <r12a> [37]http://w3c.github.io/elreq/

      [37] http://w3c.github.io/elreq/

    richard: would help to have current document available
    ... link above
    ... want to make First Public Working Draft

    addison: chair asks you to vote on publication of ELREQ as a
    First Public Working Draft

    <David> +1

    <r12a> +1

    +1

    <fsasaki> +1

    <Francesco> 0

    no objections, so resolved

    (francesco as new member abstained)

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish elreq as FPWD [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-543 - Publish elreq as fpwd [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2016-07-28].

Review: Data on the Web Best Practices

    [39]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/#dwbp

      [39] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/#dwbp

    richard: no objection to any of these, but not sure I
    understand them all

    [40]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/19

      [40] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/19

    felix: think this is a general best practice that should be
    mentioned

    <r12a>
    [41]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016J
    ul/0011.html

      [41] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Jul/0011.html

    <r12a>
    [42]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016J
    ul/0013.html

      [42] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Jul/0013.html

    felix: linked data work, not clear enough in what they want
    ... no objection to addison's edits

    paste addison's edits to 19, remove pending, forward

    [43]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/185

      [43] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/185

    felix: went through all, items with no comment like this are
    fine with me

    this one okay

    [44]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/186

      [44] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/186

    no objections

    [45]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/188

      [45] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/188

    no objections

    [46]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/187

      [46] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/187

    [47]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/190

      [47] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/190

    may not be standard means of indicating direction; identified
    gap

    no best practice here because no practice that is best yet?

    acknowledge that direction has no established BP, but forward
    comment. language does have an established set of mechanisms

    [48]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/189

      [48] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/189

    felix: no linked data version; can't point to something that
    doesn't exist. it's a technology or standard gap

    richard: if you have a date format, you can say this is an
    xsd:dateTime
    ... don't need a url for that
    ... could we use tags: there can't really be URL for all of
    them

    felix: would need a service that sent information about the
    language tag

    richard: much more complicated

    felix: needs a persistent service

    richard: think we need to raise the issue
    ... need to make them aware it's a bad solution
    ... have it registered as an issue

    addison: agree

    felix: doing what is currently technically possible
    ... maybe no solution yet but defintely state the problem

    addison: forward?

    richard: yes but rewrite slightly

    [49]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/193

      [49] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/193

    dupe of 19

    merge info?

    separate docs, so not a dupe

    felix: "we are aware of a technology gap, but from user point
    of view this is an important issue"
    ... point it out in your document

    richard: be aware that tech doesn't meet WWW requirements

    [50]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/192

      [50] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/192

    felix: change explanation (treat as typo)

    addison: agree
    ... any other issues?

    richard: next steps: rewrite some, then tell me

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: add comment with final text for
    issues in dwbp as discussed in teleconference for final
    consumption and when done, send notification to richard
    [recorded in
    [51]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

      [51] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-544 - Add comment with final text for
    issues in dwbp as discussed in teleconference for final
    consumption and when done, send notification to richard [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2016-07-28].

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: add comment with final text for issues
    in dwbp as discussed in teleconference for final consumption
    and when done, send notification to richard [recorded in
    [52]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: ask after dpub-pagination status and if
    they want/ready for a review [recorded in
    [53]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish elreq as FPWD [recorded in
    [54]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: revise issue 159 about modifier keys and
    make appropriate revisions [recorded in
    [55]http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [52] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action04
      [53] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action02
      [54] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action03
      [55] http://www.w3.org/2016/07/21-i18n-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 21 July 2016 18:22:40 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:41 UTC