Re: Re: i18n-ISSUE-359: [css-ruby] Drop ruby-merge in favour of a specific jukugo value

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
 > But there's a stylistic choice between whether the ruby should be
presented as mono ruby with the phonetics centered per character, or as
word-based ruby where the phonetics are centered per word.

presumably this would only work if you considered that eventuality in
advance, though, because you'd need to separate non-CJK words, when
merged, with spaces, so you'd need to ensure that they were present to
start with? (I'm not sure about what the browser does with external
spaces on ruby text - does it keep them or discard them?)  The
usefulness of this approach seems to rely on a starting point where the
markup is done on a 'separated' basis, where you are unlikely to
systematically supply spaces around the annotation text.

i tend to agree with Tab that if you want word-based annotations it
would be better to do that in the markup.

 > However I don't think we should have a separate property for jukugo
compared to other annotation-merging effects.

that seems sensible, actually, since we'd presumably want the ability to
undo the merging in some cases, ie. we'd need the separate value.

On 09/30/2015 08:06 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
 > Based on an admittedly quick re-read of the spec, can we just make
"ruby-merge: collapse;" be the jukugo value? With an explicit reference
to JLREQ to specify it. I'm not sure I see the value in specifying a
third alternative to mono/jukugo, if those are the only two real ruby
layout modes in practice.

this seems reasonable to me.  I agree with Koji that we shouldn't define
to the nth degree how jukugo should work, but rather point to jlreq.

On  Thu, 1 Oct 2015 18:38:14 -0700 Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
 > Hmm, I see. I was under the impression that jukugo was the "word"
mode; I didn't realize it was actually "mono, but allow overlap if
necessary".

well described!  Most people refer to it as a cross between mono- and
group-ruby, but it's not. It's mono-ruby that allows a certain amount of
adjacent overlap for ruby text (potentially resulting, per the jlreq
rules, in gaps between the ruby text when displayed on a single line -
see http://rishida.net/blog/?p=469, esp. the diagram at the bottom)

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 13:36:34 -0400 fantasai wrote:
 > We basically need three values, in order of priority, for ruby-merge:
 > 1. syllable ruby (don't overlap adjacent bases)
 > 2. jukugo ruby (separate if space, allow overlap within word if not)
 > 3. word ruby (collapse annotations within a word)

mm, to be pernickety, 'syllable' is still not the right word, since a
run of base characters per group ruby is more than a syllable.

but more importantly, i'm still not convinced that there's a real use
case for the 3rd item.  I can see the theory behind it, but would people
actually use it to switch between different display options, or would
they just use the markup to group multi-word annotations above the base
characters with spaces between when compounds are involved?

so i'm currently thinking:

ruby-merge: separate
ruby-merge: jukugo

may be what we need, for level 1 at least.