Re: Copying multi-range selection

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
> > what's the use case driving this, and where are the requirements coming
> > from?
> >
> > i ask because i'm inclined to think that the circumstances in which this
> > would a produce useful results, given the way it carves up the actual
> > content, are quite, perhaps extremely, limited.
>
> Well, the web platform "supports" editing, text selection, and
> drag-and-drop/copy-and-paste, etc. through various APIs. The question
> is how those should work with RTL content.

I see. I also think that it would be good to see some actual use cases. Not
because I don't think one should handle it, but because the use cases may
make us understand more what this is about and give an indication of what
this could be useful for. The question of how to handle it, as I understand
it, is not about the case when an element with one particular text
direction is a descendant of one that is going the opposite direction and
the user has selection the entire outer element, but about the case where
the user selects a part of an ltr element  and a part of an adjacent rtl
element at the same time, correct?

As for spending time on this on the editing F2F: If we manage to eliminate
many of the tickets we currently have on the new editing specs before the
F2F, then we should have more time for other things. It is first priority
though that we do work through those things that we set out to work on (the
CE Events spec and the input events spec).

Many times it has  now shown that we actually don't disagree about many of
the issues, or can agree to a text, once we have a concrete proposal. So
feel free to offer concrete proposals of how to change the spec text in the
issues that are still open or by means of pull requests. That way we may be
able to boil the controversies down to the things that we actually disagree
on, and then focus on those at the F2F.

I am fine with starting the meeting at 10 am on Sunday.
.

--
Johannes Wilm
Fidus Writer