W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > January to March 2015

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-03-26

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:11:21 +0000
Message-ID: <551548E9.3080607@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

26 Mar 2015

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Mar/0018.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Steve, JcK, Koji

    Regrets
           Felix

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           aphillip

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]Action Items
          4. [8]Info Share
          5. [9]RADAR and Active Work Review
          6. [10]TPAC attendance
          7. [11]Best practices with the W3C process
          8. [12]Best Practices when writing Specifications
          9. [13]WebVTT and App-Manifest comment review
         10. [14]AOB?
      * [15]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Info Share

Action Items

    action-113?

    <trackbot> action-113 -- Richard Ishida to Work on tidying up
    Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming
    couple of months -- due 2015-02-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/113

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/113

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping Aharon with email about
    additional requirements document [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-421 - Ping aharon with email about
    additional requirements document [on Addison Phillips - due
    2015-04-02].

    action-412?

    <trackbot> action-412 -- Felix Sasaki to Publish multilingual
    web usage scenarios -- due 2015-03-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/412

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/412

    close action-418

    <trackbot> Closed action-418.

    close action-420

    <trackbot> Closed action-420.

Info Share

RADAR and Active Work Review

    [19]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    steve: will pick up svg a11y spec?

    data on the web bp: make felix shepherd

    richard: new tweet about new version of latin layout req

    [20]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: warn WG members to look at LTLI ED
    for discussion next week as a new WD [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-422 - Warn wg members to look at ltli
    ed for discussion next week as a new wd [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2015-04-02].

    richard: cl req: not much activity this week, except that
    discussing with PLH what process is for getting people into TF
    ... don't need to make them WG members per-se
    ... process is to make them public invited expert
    ... put them in the IG
    ... they get a W3 account and then fill in IE form
    ... predefined counter styles
    ... if we have extra time, could brainstorm

    mlweb workshop

    <r12a-limechat>
    [22]http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/2015-riga-workshop/
    2015-riga-program

      [22] 
http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/2015-riga-workshop/2015-riga-program

    <r12a-limechat> program announced

TPAC attendance

    addison: several people seem to be coming
    ... do we need a room?

    richard: tpac in china wasn't bad... had seats to sit on

    addison: no room, wandering minstrel mode?

    richard: think that might be best approach

    addison: what about cl req folks?

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: ping beihan folks about tpac
    logistics [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-423 - Ping beihan folks about tpac
    logistics [on Richard Ishida - due 2015-04-02].

Best practices with the W3C process

    [24]https://www.w3.org/wiki/DocumentReview

      [24] https://www.w3.org/wiki/DocumentReview

    BP: if in doubt, before formally asking a horizontal group to
    review a document, talk to them informally (f.ex. via e-mail).
    (comment): I agree that it may not be obvious that a document
    needs horizontal review, but I tend to take a stronger line:
    even if you have not identified a horizontal group dependency,
    you should always discuss whether a review is necessary or even
    request a review (saying if you think there are no issues of
    interest to t[CUT]
    ... avoid cross-posting to multiple lists (and if this must be
    done, use Bcc:). Alternate instructions for providing
    commentary (if needed). Some groups use bugzilla or github as a
    means of communication and for tracking issues. --Addison
    Phillips (talk)

    richard: should add cross-posting as needed
    ... "get a decent mail client"

    addison: will edit the above
    ... actively want cross-posting

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: solicit comments from WG on w3c
    document review process wiki page [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-424 - Solicit comments from wg on w3c
    document review process wiki page [on Addison Phillips - due
    2015-04-02].

Best Practices when writing Specifications

    richard: don't use bpXXX number. use the gray character off to
    the left (the id for the best practice) when referring to bps

    <r12a-limechat> use
    [26]http://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#lang_neg or #lang_neg
    NOT BP71 to refer to recommendations

      [26] http://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#lang_neg

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: figure out means of making BP number
    and/or identifier properly emphasized [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-425 - Figure out means of making bp
    number and/or identifier properly emphasized [on Richard Ishida
    - due 2015-04-02].

    richard: this document
    ... orginally this document was a home for homeless information
    ... but became apparent that people expected this to be
    everything they needed
    ... or at least pointers
    ... and confusing if they had to go to techniques page
    ... so spent time rearchitecting it
    ... all BPs in techniques page are now here too
    ... and the techniques page would like to "more info" locations
    ... changed techniques to allow pointer to more than one thing
    ... and wrote a script that takes BP document and generates
    techniques
    ... two versions of techniques (one collapsable, one not)
    ... one version is generated from github document
    ... reduces need for duplicating information

    <Steve_Atkin> My line dropped calling back

    <r12a-limechat> [28]http://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

      [28] http://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

    <r12a-limechat>
    [29]http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs

      [29] http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs

    <r12a-limechat>
    [30]http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs
    -dynamic

      [30] 
http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs-dynamic

WebVTT and App-Manifest comment review

    [31]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015
    JanMar/

      [31] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015JanMar/

    [32]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015
    JanMar/0181.html

      [32] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015JanMar/0181.html

    [33]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28262

      [33] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28262

    [34]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015
    JanMar/0167.html

      [34] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015JanMar/0167.html

    [35]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015
    JanMar/0168.html

      [35] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015JanMar/0168.html

    [36]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28266

      [36] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28266

    [37]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28265

      [37] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=28265

    <Steve_Atkin> I need to drop I have another call.

    W3C HTML5 also has rb, rtc That said, I think it is a non-goal
    to match the expressiveness of HTML in WebVTT. WebVTT only has
    elements to cater for specific use cases that apply to it.

    koji: don't know where the boundaries are?
    ... quite hard to say that
    ... nobody from japan is helping with this?

    addison: don't see anyone per-se

    koji: common when only two lines to have first line ruby on top
    and second line ruby on bottom, for example
    ... not sure if TV wants double-sided
    ... maybe not so important to have group, etc

    richard: no ruby styling provided? maybe new comment?

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: ask at domain meeting about whether
    webvtt will be used for tv and cinema [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-426 - Ask at domain meeting about
    whether webvtt will be used for tv and cinema [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2015-04-02].

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: tag all threads based on our comments
    in appmanifest's github so we can track [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action07]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-427 - Tag all threads based on our
    comments in appmanifest's github so we can track [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2015-04-02].

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping Aharon with email about additional
    requirements document [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: solicit comments from WG on w3c document
    review process wiki page [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: tag all threads based on our comments in
    appmanifest's github so we can track [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: warn WG members to look at LTLI ED for
    discussion next week as a new WD [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: ask at domain meeting about whether
    webvtt will be used for tv and cinema [recorded in
    [44]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: figure out means of making BP number
    and/or identifier properly emphasized [recorded in
    [45]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: ping beihan folks about tpac logistics
    [recorded in
    [46]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/26-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Friday, 27 March 2015 12:11:31 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:39 UTC